Watch face makes a huge difference in battery life

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by griffith_500, Oct 18, 2016.

1. griffith_500 macrumors newbie

If not known already, I noticed that battery life varies a lot depending on the watch face you are using. The simple watch face uses approximately half the battery than the activity one. I have tested this for a few days to exclude other factors. I'm still on 80% for my Series 1 model with 2 hours of usage and 10 hours of standby. Like it!

Attached Files:

2. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

It's probably partially the display ... On OLED displays black pixels are able to be completely shut off and apparently white also uses less power than colors. I will say that complications also use battery power to update in the background so that might be the other reason you see less battery life with the activity data and heart rate on the watch face.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

White is a combination of all 3 sub pixels on. Blue is the largest sub pixel. So True green or True red would use the least amount of power for the same brightness.

4. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Good point.
    But Julien is right, a white pixel consumes energy like a color so it is down to the number of pixels different than black.
    A lot of complications can effect battery life as well, and I guess deactivating rise to wake can save battery too, since many times you don't need to look at the Watch but you move your arm in a certain way causing the display to power on.