Watch face makes a huge difference in battery life

griffith_500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
If not known already, I noticed that battery life varies a lot depending on the watch face you are using. The simple watch face uses approximately half the battery than the activity one. I have tested this for a few days to exclude other factors. I'm still on 80% for my Series 1 model with 2 hours of usage and 10 hours of standby. Like it!

Attachments

jermy4

macrumors demi-god
Jun 27, 2010
It's probably partially the display ... On OLED displays black pixels are able to be completely shut off and apparently white also uses less power than colors. I will say that complications also use battery power to update in the background so that might be the other reason you see less battery life with the activity data and heart rate on the watch face.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
It's probably partially the display ... On OLED displays black pixels are able to be completely shut off and apparently white also uses less power than colors. I will say that complications also use battery power to update in the background so that might be the other reason you see less battery life with the activity data and heart rate on the watch face.
Good point.
But Julien is right, a white pixel consumes energy like a color so it is down to the number of pixels different than black.
A lot of complications can effect battery life as well, and I guess deactivating rise to wake can save battery too, since many times you don't need to look at the Watch but you move your arm in a certain way causing the display to power on.