Watch face options

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kdog0126, Apr 29, 2015.

1. kdog0126 macrumors member

Have had my apple watch for a few days...I absolutely love this thing, but I want more. Starting with the watch face, I would like Apple to include an white background (like a traditional watch).

Thoughts?!?

2. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

The white background isn't going to happen any time soon.

3. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

There's Chronograph but it'll drain your battery more

Attached Files:

4. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Because of the power issue? I'm having a hard time buying that. Apple has so many power sucking features on the watch already that require the user to use restraint that I can't see a white face contributing substantially to that. And even if it did, a simple disclaimer when the user selected a white background face is all that would be required, so the user knows they are shortening their better life with that choice.

And why no custom watch faces? Why no announcements from third parties about them? It's first and foremost a timepiece. It does the one thing with its appearance that a traditional watch can't do and that's change its face design. So is Apple really that concerned about power, or is it their concern for the design style? I mean it's more for the user than anybody else. So is it that Apple is planning on selling custom watch faces? Like they sell ringtones? It's not like it would be hard to create a simple app for building your own watch face, but just like creating your own ringtone out of a song you already own, Apple doesn't support it. And even if Apple needed to police the third party watch faces for sale through the watch app store, how big a deal is that to dedicate someone to that when it would bring so much joy to so many? They've gone out of their way to let me send my heartbeat to someone, or a silly doodle -- two apps I will probably never use myself. But being able to customize my watch face would be so much more personal and satisfying.

5. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Unlike LCD screens, OLED screens as used in the watch don't use power when showing black, so a white screen watch face will have an impact on battery life, regardless of what else you do with your watch.

The user experience of the watch needs to remain at a high standard, which is likely one of the reasons why Apple isn't allowing 3rd party apps (yet). They don't want to market a device on its design and watch face quality then have people walking round with crappy faces on display. The experience must be of a certain standard, and I'll be Apple will only allow 3rd party watch faces that pass that standard and are specifically approved. I doubt you'll ever see a 1,000-face strong watch face store.

6. kdog0126 thread starter macrumors member

I figured it had something to do with power consumption...however, I wonder how much more power it would use?!? The watch face is only shown for a brief time. After a while the blakc background would get boring...

I agree with the poster above, I would also like more customization to the faces. At least least us grab pieces from the canned templates. I would love the monogram on the Simple or Utility templates, etc.

7. simonx314 macrumors regular

Prior to launch, Apple removed two previously announced watch faces, Timelapse and Photo. These were the only watch faces which lit up the entire screen. Most of the other watch faces are mainly black, which does not consume power on an OLED display. This adds weight to the theory that Apple has not added a white watch face due to battery life.

You can see a picture of the Timelapse and Photo watch faces in one of Apple's old press releases.

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/...lleled-beauty-in-watchfaces-live-animated.jpg

Discussed here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1860807