Watch Face when raising wrist

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Veldhuis, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Veldhuis macrumors newbie

Veldhuis

Maybe I am missing something here. In watchOS 3 (beta 4), is there no way to always see the Watch Face when you raise your wrist? It currently shows the last used app and you can set the timeframe in with it show that, but I'd like to always see the clock/watch face when I raise my wrist.
    Anyone?

2. Julien, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Don't have the beta (not a developer) but you are saying the General: Wake Screen: On Wrist Rase: Show Watch Face has been removed from wOS3?????

3. zhaoxin macrumors regular

No. You can still set there. However, Apple changes default setting to "if app in background" in watchOS 3 as watchOS 3 provides the dock apps.

4. Veldhuis thread starter macrumors newbie

Veldhuis

This is what I see in the watch app. No option to always show the watch face anymore.

IMG_0033.PNG

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I guess they need to update the beta to include "Never."

6. zhaoxin macrumors regular

True. In beta 4, Apple changes it to 8 minutes. You will return to watch face after 8 minutes. I think Apple thought this balanced the needs for some people. It was't this in beta 3.

7. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

This is true for only a few select apps like Maps and workout and a few others. Some third party apps as well. May have to wait to see on that... if you are in messages for example, it will return to the watch face.

Check wake screen on the iPhone watch app for an explanation.

8. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

What about "While in session"? I don't understand what it's supposed to mean, so how does the watch behave with the option checked?

(seems like something an engineer wrote, like "PC LOAD LETTER"... ;) )

9. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I read that as... if you are in a workout session, it will stay on that screen until you end the workout. Otherwise, it will switch to the main screen during a workout after 8 minutes - for example. Make sense?

Originally, I hated when it always stayed on the workout screen. Nice to have an option.

10. Veldhuis, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

Veldhuis thread starter macrumors newbie

Veldhuis

I was in Messages when I first noticed this new behaviour. Lowered my wrist, and when I raised it again after a while the screen came on with Messages. Not the watch face, as I expected.
    Oh well, beta life. ;-) Hopefully this will be changed/fine-tuned before the new OS is released to the masses. And yes, an option to never show the last active app, but go to the watch face when raising the wrist, would be very nice.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's how I read it as well. However, it doesn't make sense not to include "Never" as an option?

12. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Totally agree. Thankful this is beta and we can request. I did.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you need to ER it.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP wants to always see the watch face, not the last app while in session.

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I don't find this feature to work at all. I have it set to display the most recent 40 minutes, but every time I raise my wrist it's right back to the selective watch face. I'm on 84 at the moment, it's really odd that the profile keeps getting purge every time I update the iOS 10 beta

17. zhaoxin macrumors regular

There was never a real "Never" option ever. The old "Never" option in fact was a one minute. If you raised you wrist in one minute, you saw the previous app. otherwise the watch face. So I said Apple extends the time to 8 minutes to balance some people's needs.

Apps like Workout, work in another way, when you are working out, it ignore this feature and holds the screen unless you turns to watch face or other apps yourself. That's another topic.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

All of the other options are for showing the last app. The in session one does what the OP wants. At least that's how it works for me