Watch face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wratran, Apr 26, 2015.

1. wratran macrumors regular

can the watch face stay on all the time like a normal watch?

Blank black screen is very ugly

2. jjlannoo Suspended

no

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

What's the point? The battery will run out pretty fast that way.

4. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

No. But when you look at it, it'll turn on.

If you want an always on smart watch, get a Pebble. Be warned that the screen isn't nearly as nice as an Apple watch or Moto 360 or the like.

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

No it wouldn't. Most pixels would still be off anyway.

6. wratran thread starter macrumors regular

Why called it a watch when there no watch face?

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

That was why I went with an Android Wear watch. I have the watch face on 24/7, so I can see the time and see my latest notification without having to flick my wrist (like when I'm working at my desk). I couldn't stand having a watch that I couldn't tell the time on unless I flick my wrist and wait half a second.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Because you wear it on your wrist and when you move your wrist in a motion to indicate you're checking the time, the time will display for you. It does not display the time constantly because it has a screen that would use up too much battery power that can be put to better use serving you with its Smart watch features. There isn't much point to allocating limited battery reserves to light a display when you aren't even looking at it.

----------

Which Android Wear watch do you have?

9. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

If you can't grasp the concept of this product, maybe you shouldn't own one.

10. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

LG G Watch R, this is what my watch looks like all the time:

[​IMG]

Battery life is great for me, I leave at 6:30AM and by 10PM I still have 25-30% battery left. Apple just got lazy, there is no problem with watches having the screen on all the time if designed well.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Since when is the concept of a smart watch, not being able to keep the screen on? its a limitation of battery/size at the moment.

12. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

because you can view the time when you look at it...

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Very nice! It's a really big watch though so it won't fit me, as the 42 mm Apple Watch is too big for me. It can and does accommodate a big battery. That may be part of why it can also accommodate an always on-display of such quality.

Apple took a step that I haven't yet seen any other smart watch maker try to do: they've made a smart watch that accommodates women and men with smaller wrists and left-handed people very well. I'm a left-handed woman with tiny wrists. I did shop around and continue to shop around and check out the competition. I feel like they forget that people like me exist. Or just don't care. Apple cared about that much at least in their design. So I'll forgive them any laziness about battery and always-on displays for now. By generation 3 I might start giving them the stink-eye, though! ;)

But for now, they've packed a lot of features into a design that can accommodate people like me that other smart watch makers overlooked. Yes, you can do great things with these wearables if you make them large. It takes some design acuity to do what Apple has done.

And I'm not Apple-bound. Android Wear sounds very interesting.

14. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

This was one of the things that excited me about the Apple Watch. I've loved the concept of smartwatches since I got my Kickstarter Pebble, but the 38mm Apple Watch is the first smart watch that fits me "properly" and doesn't look like a gadget. I know many on here are saying they can't imagine using a device that small, but it's the perfect size for those of us with small wrists.

15. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

16. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

great looking watch face and I really like the compass.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought this was going to be a problem coming from a fitbit surge but I see the logic and it makes sense. Why have the display on when most of the time you're not looking at the watch. It springs to life pretty easily and if not I just tap and I see the time.

I wouldn't say they got lazy. They struggled to the 18 hour battery life as it is, and that would not have been possible if the watch face was on all the time.

I don't know what the LG watch does or the differences between the two. Of the Android watches I have seen, they are usually a lot larger then the apple watch so they can put a larger battery into the enclosure, apple is rather constrained in that department.

18. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

Had a quick look online and your watch has a 410mAh battery apparently.
    From the information I've found, the 42mm Apple Watch has a 246mAh battery.

Your battery is 66% bigger! I should hope it will last all day with the screen on! :)

19. jwball macrumors regular

You don't buy a TV and leave it switched on whilst not watching it so why does it matter with a watch?

20. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

LG and Moto360 has internal volume almost twice as big compared to 42mm Apple watch.
    When Apple come up with future "hockey puck" version of watch to compete with Android hockey puck style smartwatch in turn of size, it will have bigger battery to allow all on possibility. Is there really need to have watch on all he time and stare at your watch all the time, or will Apple think always on is necessary since some people prefer their electronic device always on, after all AW is electronic device, is another story.

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's absolutely pointless for it to be on all the time.

22. jasonklee, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

That LG is big and bold. The Apple Watch is too small by comparison. I cannot understand Apple's obsession for small and light. Building a device with size and weight in mind first before considering battery is not a mark of good design. You can't settle for the smallest battery and target battery life of x hours and then focus on hardware and software efficiency. That is indeed lazy. As the Koreans have shown with their superior intellect and design acumen, a device should accommodate the biggest battery you can reasonably fit in. Then design around it.