Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
California
I was at starbucks, paid with the starbucks app on my ip6+. I didn't know that one can open the sbux qr code from the watch! I swipe down and saw passbook app with starbucks, just like in my iphone. turned out it shows the qr code. That's pretty nifty. I'm gonna have to try this tomorrow.
Do we have apple watch wiki, from basic troubleshooting and usage? it could be pretty handy.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I was at starbucks, paid with the starbucks app on my ip6+. I didn't know that one can open the sbux qr code from the watch! I swipe down and saw passbook app with starbucks, just like in my iphone. turned out it shows the qr code. That's pretty nifty. I'm gonna have to try this tomorrow.
Do we have apple watch wiki, from basic troubleshooting and usage? it could be pretty handy.

The Watch has Passbook on it. By default anything you have in Passbook on your phone is mirrored on your Watch.

I've used it for: boarding passes, Starbucks, concert tickets, Level Up (another digital payment system) and more...

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
BTW: you DO want to use Passbook... don't try to use a QR code in an Apple Watch App. In a regular App the screen only stays active for a few seconds and turns off if you turn the Watch away from you.

In Passbook on the Watch the screen will stay on for minutes... even if you turn the Watch upside down (important for scanning!)

If you pay attention you can actually see the screen go to maximum brightness when you scroll down to the QR code in Passbook.... Making it even easier to scan.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
BTW: you DO want to use Passbook... don't try to use a QR code in an Apple Watch App. In a regular App the screen only stays active for a few seconds and turns off if you turn the Watch away from you.

In Passbook on the Watch the screen will stay on for minutes... even if you turn the Watch upside down (important for scanning!)

If you pay attention you can actually see the screen go to maximum brightness when you scroll down to the QR code in Passbook.... Making it even easier to scan.

The OP is using Passbook. What he has done is configure the Starbucks cards added to Passbook to show on lock screen when he's at his favorite store(s). That gets mirrored to the Watch and clicking on it goes right to Passbook.

Reactions: perkedel

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

I have an App for my gym (LA Fitness) that has a membership QR code and use 5 times a week. It comes on when I hold my wrist up to the scanner and stays on for about 10 seconds (Just timed it for 12 seconds). Never have a problem other than getting it to initially load sometimes requires that I open the iPhone app first.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The OP is using Passbook. What he has done is configure the Starbucks cards added to Passbook to show on lock screen when he's at his favorite store(s). That gets mirrored to the Watch and clicking on it goes right to Passbook.

Right: I was just explaining that using Passbook is preferable to using an app that shows a QR code.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I have an App for my gym (LA Fitness) that has a membership QR code and use 5 times a week. It comes on when I hold my wrist up to the scanner and stays on for about 10 seconds (Just timed it for 12 seconds). Never have a problem other than getting it to initially load sometimes requires that I open the iPhone app first.

10 seconds is the normal amount of time that the screen stays active when you touch the Watch (or click the crown).

10 seconds is a huge bummer when you're waiting in line (Starbucks or to get on a plane or go through security) because the screen will turn off while you wait... and the next time you turn it on it may be back at the Watch face. THEN it might take a moment to load your App again when you try to open it. THEN you turn your wrist to scan the code and your screen turns off! Now you've been holding up the line for 30 (or more) seconds while you fiddle with your Watch when you could have just used a paper boarding pass or pulled out your credit card. If I were behind you I would definitely be pissed!

Passbook is WAY better.

It's native, so your phone doesn't even have to be on. It opens instantly. When on a barcode the screen stays active for minutes. The screen won't turn off if you turn your Watch away from you.

Yes, you can scan QR codes from Apps on the Watch... BUT using Passbook (when possible) is definitely preferable!

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
California
Right: I was just explaining that using Passbook is preferable to using an app that shows a QR code.

I'm already using passbook app for the starbucks code.
when using passbook, any stores that are added as favorite in the actual sbux app, will show up on the passbook notification based on location. I already know this from the iPhone, just not on the watch since nobody seem to be mentioning this.
I didn't expect to look at the watch since there's no beep or taptic feedback when the thing shows up. oh well, it's still all new to me :D

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...10 seconds is a huge bummer when you're waiting in line (Starbucks or to get on a plane or go through security) because the screen will turn off while you wait... and the next time you turn it on it may be back at the Watch face. THEN it might take a moment to load your App again when you try to open it. THEN you turn your wrist to scan the code and your screen turns off! Now you've been holding up the line for 30 (or more) seconds while you fiddle with your Watch when you could have just used a paper boarding pass or pulled out your credit card. If I were behind you I would definitely be pissed....
Never used the Starbucks app but as I get out of my car I open the LA Fitness app and hit Membership Card and the QR code is loaded. I then just walk up and lift and turn my wrist towards the scanner and it always comes on. No touch of my :apple:Watch required and no one has ever had to wait on me. Been doing it this since launch day and just did it a couple of hours ago.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Never used the Starbucks app but as I get out of my car I open the LA Fitness app and hit Membership Card and the QR code is loaded. I then just walk up and lift and turn my wrist towards the scanner and it always comes on. No touch of my :apple:Watch required and no one has ever had to wait on me. Been doing it this since launch day and just did it a couple of hours ago.

Do you have "raise wrist" set to open to the watch face or to the last app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.