Watch folder and move to other folder script?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by frydrych, Sep 12, 2013.

1. frydrych macrumors member

I just bought a Synology 213j NAS and have set up Download Station for torrent downloads. It works better than I hoped for and also at higher than my macbooks wifi. Awesome so far.

Im using Safari and have default download location set to Downloads. What I want to do is to make a script (or other solution like a Safari plugin) that watches the download folder for .torrent files, moves, or copy-delete, the files to my watch folder on the NAS. Or a plugin that detects certain file extension and saves to a specific folder. I know there is one for Chrome.

I've seen several ideas for scripts but I haven't been able to find one that does what I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks

F

2. frydrych thread starter macrumors member

Hazel does what I wanted, works like charm. However it's almost $30 for managing a single task. Anyone know of any alternatives?

3. onekerato macrumors regular

You can use Automator to create a Folder Action, which is a script that is run when contents of a particular folder changes. For example, can use automator action to move .torrent files from Downloads folder to another folder. A folder action like this works for all **new** .torrent files, but not for existing ones in that folder. That's how folder actions work i.e. on changes to the folder, not its entire contents.

You can also create a "Calendar Alarm" in Automator that creates a script which can be attached to events in Calendar. For example, to sweep **all** .torrents in Downloads folder periodically to another folder.

4. frydrych thread starter macrumors member

It's just that I don't get the folder action to work as intented probably due to lack of automator skill... Are there any automator guides that describes the actions?

5. frydrych thread starter macrumors member

A little trial and error fixed, works wonderful! Thanks