Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
One thing I've long missed in iTunes is the ability to auto-import new music as and when I drag it into one of my music folders. Unfortunately, as I keep my music in a few different places (one large folder for my album collection, one large folder for my iTunes and 'singles' collection, DJ stuff, audio projects for work etc...) the options provided to me by Apple don't really seem like they're going to work for me. For instance, if I click 'File>Add to Library' then it's going to take me forever to remember which tracks are new since I last updated, and in which folders; I can't just re-add the entire folder tree as there's a lot of them and I'll probably end up with a load of duplicate entries. iTunes' supposed 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder also won't work for the same reason. I actually can't see how that folder helps; surely people want to automatically add ALL their new media to their media player program? I can't see anybody placing their whole music collection within a single folder called 'Automatically add to iTunes'?!! Surely there's a better way to watch a variety of folders for new media and import it automatically as it's created??!

Any suggestions??

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For instance, if I click 'File>Add to Library' then it's going to take me forever to remember which tracks are new since I last updated, and in which folders; I can't just re-add the entire folder tree as there's a lot of them and I'll probably end up with a load of duplicate entries.
No, you won't. If you have a folder that contains items already in your library and also items that have not been added, you can add that folder to your library and only those items not previously added will be added. It will not add any item that already exists in your library.

I don't use the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. If I put new music in my existing music folder, I can simply add my music folder again and it only adds things not already in the library.

nashmills

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
No, you won't. If you have a folder that contains items already in your library and also items that have not been added, you can add that folder to your library and only those items not previously added will be added. It will not add any item that already exists in your library.

I don't use the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. If I put new music in my existing music folder, I can simply add my music folder again and it only adds things not already in the library.
I have just tried this and I now have two copies of every song in my albums. It took ages too. What have I done wrong please?

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I need this too! Isn't there some Mac app or utility out there that can do iTunes folder monitoring on the Mac, and add that music automatically to my iTunes library?

This seems like a no-brainer app that is needed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I need this too! Isn't there some Mac app or utility out there that can do iTunes folder monitoring on the Mac, and add that music automatically to my iTunes library?

This seems like a no-brainer app that is needed.
No need for an app. Just use the existing Automatically Add to iTunes folder.
You're not the only one.... something is wrong here! :)
Do you have these checked? If so, iTunes makes copies of every song you add. Uncheck them if you want the method I posted to work.
iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
iTunes is not designed to work in the way you want it. iTunes is designed to act as your sole interface to your music library. In that way, it is kind of a specialized Finder (the same applies to iPhoto). All tasks you do should take place within the interface that iTunes provides. So the best way is actually to let iTunes manage the folder structure and not mess around with the files in the Finder manually.

So what you can do it to first drag the new music into its folder destination with the Finder and then from there into the iTunes window (make sure you have unchecked the iTunes import in order to only create a reference to the file location).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
iTunes is not designed to work in the way you want it.
Yes, it is.
So the best way is actually to let iTunes manage the folder structure and not mess around with the files in the Finder manually.
It's perfectly fine to manage your music files in Finder, as long as you have the appropriate settings in iTunes to allow it. I never let iTunes manage my files. I prefer my organization method more than iTunes' method.

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Yes, it is.
What do you do when you move or rename a file?
What happens if you change the mp3 tags manually with an external program?
Or what happens when you add some new songs manually into the folder structure?

In all these cases, iTunes did never automatically recognize the changes on my computer (not to mention instant updates). And the automatically add to iTunes folder is a mere crutch. Sure, you can work with references instead of importing, but the problems are the same.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What do you do when you move or rename a file?
iTunes tracks the change and updates the library to reflect the new name/location.
What happens if you change the mp3 tags manually with an external program?
That's what I have iTunes for. I have no need to edit tags outside of iTunes.
Or what happens when you add some new songs manually into the folder structure?
I simply add them to the iTunes library, if I choose to.
In all these cases, iTunes did never automatically recognize the changes on my computer (not to mention instant updates).
It does on mine.
And the automatically add to iTunes folder is a mere crutch.
That works, but I don't use it. I prefer to use my own folder structure and add only what I want to my iTunes library.

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
GGJstudios said:
iTunes tracks the change and updates the library to reflect the new name/location.
Wow, that one really works. That's great. Is that a Mac only thing? I could never make that work with Windows.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wow, that one really works. That's great. Is that a Mac only thing? I could never make that work with Windows.
I haven't tested with Windows, but I suspect that in Windows it doesn't dynamically update when you move or rename a file. If that's the case, then it's a Windows issue and not an iTunes issue.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
One thing I had to 'learn' when I started using Mac systems about 5 years ago was that, for a lot of their apps (iTunes, iPhoto etc) you had to basically conform to the way the app wanted you to do things, which, coming from a PC background, seems totally retarded. I haven't spent years reading up on how to survive a robot uprising to bow down and be enslaved by software! :)

So for those of us who like to manage our own music/photo folders and already have thousands of files neatly organised the way we like them, we have two choices - it's the Mac way or the highway!

I should have known - judging by how badly my brain thinks it wants an iPad 2, what chance do I have at resisting the OS X reign of terror?!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One thing I had to 'learn' when I started using Mac systems about 5 years ago was that, for a lot of their apps (iTunes, iPhoto etc) you had to basically conform to the way the app wanted you to do things,....

So for those of us who like to manage our own music/photo folders and already have thousands of files neatly organised the way we like them, we have two choices - it's the Mac way or the highway!
That's not true at all. It sounds like you don't know how to use the apps the way they were designed. For example I use iTunes for my music library, but I manage my own files and folders the way I want.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I've managed to force all the apps to behave the way I want them to, but I'm just saying it's a bit cheeky of them to make it so difficult.

Honestly, I know the majority of Mac users aren't really 'computer people', but surely nobody's dim enough that they need/want the apps to manage their music/photo folders for them??! Or perhaps you and I are the exceptions.....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I've managed to force all the apps to behave the way I want them to, but I'm just saying it's a bit cheeky of them to make it so difficult.
It's not difficult and it's not a matter of "forcing" iTunes to let you manage your folders. Just uncheck these two boxes and you have complete control of your files:
iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I feel like you're missing something here - I'm well aware of these two boxes - this is not the issue. If you'll refer to my OP you'll see I'm asking if there's a way to get iTunes to auto-add new music in my music folder to the iTunes library without having to place it into the 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder.

If you don't have a solution then thanks for your input, now move along ;)

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Why would I need to care where the files are physically stored? I can put these administrative burdens in the hands of the app. I know that it will work somehow and that I also get my backup via TimeMachine (which is a fire and forget app as well). Just let them do their things. I only need a convenient interface to enjoy and edit the content on the Mac and the other "i" devices. Why care about the underlying file structure? After all, few people care about where the OS is physically writing the files on the HDD as well. Not to mention all the iPhones, iPods and iPads, which also manage the file level by themselves and we only interact via the app (unless you jailbreak the device).

But of course, there is the danger of lock-in...

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Haha, what's lock-in?? Sounds like when HAL 9000 wouldn't open the pod bay doors to me ;)

No seriously, I understand the attraction of fire-and-forget apps; I guess I've been hurt before (*sob) by Windows machines and now I feel that I'd rather manage as much of my data myself as possible so that, should the worst happen, I can be angry at myself rather than at my OS....

Man, I think I may need some kind of therapy..... :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I feel like you're missing something here - I'm well aware of these two boxes - this is not the issue. If you'll refer to my OP you'll see I'm asking if there's a way to get iTunes to auto-add new music in my music folder to the iTunes library without having to place it into the 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder.
I'm not missing anything. I'm well aware of your OP. iTunes already has an automatic add function that you elect not to use. iTunes is not to blame for that. Instead, you complain that iTunes doesn't do it your way. No software is designed to accommodate the whims of every user. The functionality is there to either automatically add everything to your iTunes library, or give you the option to decide what does and doesn't get added.

My most recent post isn't addressing that issue, but is in response to your comments that I quoted, which aren't factual.

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
peanutismint said:
One thing I had to 'learn' when I started using Mac systems about 5 years ago was that, for a lot of their apps (iTunes, iPhoto etc) you had to basically conform to the way the app wanted you to do things, which, coming from a PC background, seems totally retarded.
Part of me still feels that way...

No seriously, I understand the attraction of fire-and-forget apps; I guess I've been hurt before (*sob) by Windows machines and now I feel that I'd rather manage as much of my data myself as possible so that, should the worst happen, I can be angry at myself rather than at my OS....
I'm mostly fine now with iTunes, iPhoto, TimeMachine etc. managing the file structure and doing the administrative tasks on that level, as long as I do understand how it works. So I just import and then use the interface to work with the data.

Anyway, I can understand your desire for maximum control... but that's what Steve wants to do for you... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.