Watch forums/communities?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rob587, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I really enjoy the MacRumors community, but can't say the same for any watch forums. I like the functionality of Reddit /r/watches, but the users/mods are so pretentious.

Any fellow watch enthusiasts here? Anyone have any watch blogs, forums, Twitter or Instagram accounts to share? (Assuming it's ok with the mods here)

- Rob

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I was about to recommend the very same thread; it is the only one on this forum that I have seen, and it is a very nice, warm, welcoming thread with a very pleasant atmosphere where watch enthusiasts write about, post pictures of and discuss their watches.

3. Rob587, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Thanks! Ya, I've seen that. It's solid! Just curious if anyone has any favorites outside of MacRumors. Or if anyone has their own. I'm always looking for more watch content. :cool:

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, there are a few that I like to take a look at every so often.

My personal favourites include a very good site called 'Vintage Watches for Sale @WatchesToBuy' which I quite like..

Another I quite like to browse is called 'ClassicWatches.com', or 'Classic Watch'. A company called 'Yorktime' also has a rather good site and another named 'Darlor Watch' also have a detailed site.

Hope this is of some help.

5. SurferMan macrumors 65816

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Awesome, thank you! So your a fan of vintage watches? Do you own any?

Wow, watch recon is pretty cool. How did you come across that? Forums?

7. Scepticalscribe, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My pleasure, and I hope you enjoy browsing.

To answer your question, yes, I am a fan of vintage watches, and no, as of now, I don't actually own any (but that will doubtless change; I have very specific likes and am quite happy to wait until I see something that I really like).

I do, however, own a lovely watch - an Omega Deville automatic, with Dauphine hands, and Arabic numerals on the 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 positions (rather than numerals at the more classic 'quadrant' positions of 3, 6, 9, and 12 ). Obviously, it has date and second functions, too. In appearance, it is the old, classic, understated, elegant style that I love.

Anyway, it is made of stainless steel, and, as I was teaching when I first saw it around a decade ago, I couldn't afford it - and couldn't justify buying it on a teaching salary; since then, my circumstances changed, and on one occasion, when home on leave, I bought it (which was around six years ago) and have worn it daily since, so I do derive considerable pleasure from having an elegant, understated wristwatch on my wrist.

8. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, watchuseek is pretty good, too, and I enjoy browsing it.

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

one of the forums long ago, don't remember

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm active on the NAWCC message board and WatchUSeek(the latter as a moderator). I'm also active at NAWCC Chapter 149, although there admittedly isn't a lot of activity on the public portions of that board. There is a huge amount of expertise and knowledge at 149, particularly if you are interested in relatively obscure and/or high grade American watches(which I am).

The NAWCC board is, of course, mostly geared toward vintage/antique watches. The most active watch forum is the American Pocket Watches forum-this suits me fine as it's where my interest lies, but I realize I'm part of a relatively small demographic that almost exclusively focuses on this area of collecting. The expertise there in the "major" brands-including Hamilton, Illinois, Elgin, and Waltham(to some extent) is invaluable.

I'm admittedly biased as far as my opinion toward WUS, but I feel like it's probably the best all around watch forum with(active) boards to appeal to almost everyone and an overall great atmosphere.

If you are interested in vintage American wristwatches, another board worth mentioning is the Vintage Watch Forum. Many of the experts in their respective fields(particularly Hamilton, Illinois, and Elgin wristwatches) hang out there.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I've been a member of Watchuseek for a while and it is very good, perhaps the best on the internet.

With anything you are going to get pretentious snobs though and on there I simply enjoy looking at and talking about watches and ignore the rest.

13. Streffert macrumors member

14. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

15. althaur macrumors member

althaur

I agree on WatchUSeek and The Rolex Forum. Another, for Panerai enthusiasts, is paneristi.com.

For folks who like knives as well as watches, usualsuspect.net has a really good watch section with some great people.

16. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

WatchUSeek is pretty friendly from my limited activity on there. Very knowledgeable about the older watches I've asked about (my 1969 Swiss-movement Hamilton Automatic), and some reputable sellers for Rolex, et al. One day I'll have a mid-90's SubDate.... :)

18. lowendlinux, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Watchuseek is nice so is the dive watch connection

19. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Thanks! Just joined TRF. Looks awesome.

Just joined!

Would love to see a pic of your Hamilton. A sub is also on my wishlist. Probably the 14060m. :cool:

Cool, I'll checkout both. :)

20. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

TRF is excellent. A lot of very knowledgeable people on that forum. Your wallet won't thank you though. I felt strangely compelled to buy my BLNR on the strength of reviews on there :eek: