Watch iMessage question - phone no longer makes a sound

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by xraydoc, Apr 24, 2015.

1. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Ok, so watch and phone seems to be communicating well and everything is working the way I expect... Except ONE thing.

When I receive an iMessage, the watch will tap and make a ding (or not; that I can turn off). However my phone no longer makes a sound for incoming iMessages.

Is this normal behavior? My iPad still makes a sound. Email sounds still play. Phone isn't on silent. Still rings, etc.. but phone doesn't make any incoming iMessage sounds (not sure about regular SMS - haven't received one yet today).

Anyone have the same situation or is something odd happening with my setup?

2. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

I believe this is normal behavior. I would try to mess around with the notification settings to see if you can have both notify you. I would try a custom setting instead of mirroring? (making a guess here) I personally like that my phone doesn't make a sound with the watch on my wrist.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

From playing around with one for a few minutes, I think that is correct - it goes to your watch if you're wearing it and your phone is locked/screen turned off. Turning on your phone will still show the message on the lock screen. If your phone is on/unlocked then it will make a sound (and not make one on your watch).

Like I said, this is just the behavior I saw from a few minutes of messing around, so I could be wrong.

4. dusters711 macrumors regular

I just posted this question in another thread too. My phone does not ding anymore. I just get the haptic or sound on my wrist. Can we not make the phone ding when wearing the watch?

5. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

This is no different than a Mac and iPhone. If I'm on my Mac usually my iPhone doesn't ding for an iMessage. Why would the watch be different. If the watch is on your wrist its "on" all the time and the phone is off unless unlocked.

6. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

hmm this seems to also apply to Mail as well.
    I don't like this behaviour at all! I want both to go off when I get mail or messages!