Watch independence

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jakubdr, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Jakubdr macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am thinking about buying the watch series 2, however I am still unsure about the watch dependency on the iPhone.

From what I read, the watch OS 2 is able to connect to Wifi without iPhone and also has support for native apps. So let's say that I forget my iPhone at home but at work (or any other place) the watch will be connected to Wifi. Will the Watch be able to receive notification for email apps, messaging apps (such as Facebook messenger) and will I be able to act on those notifications (reply)?

And one more question, this one is regarding the aesthetics :) I am undecided whether to go for aluminum or stainless steel. To be honest, I am leaning towards aluminum first because I am not sure if the watch will fit my workflow. So in terms of aesthetics and style (the watch will be paired mostly with leather strap and worn with shirt and jeans), do you prefer the silver one or space grey?

Thanks!

2. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Your watch may or may not connect to the wifi at your office. Many corporate networks use authentication methods for wireless that the watch isn't compatible with. My office network requires authentication and then the installation of a certificate. Works fine for the iPhone, but not the watch. As long as it works YMMV depending on the app. If the app runs native on the watch and includes notifications I could see I working. If the notifications are just mirroring the ones on the phone app then probably not. Others may have more experience with that. I find that I don't forget my iPhone like I used to. As I'm leaving I usually check the time. A symbol appears on the watch when it is out of range of the iPhone. I usually see that when I'm still close enough to turn around and get my iPhone.

I prefer the silver aluminum but the space grey is very nice looking and has its fans. I think the silver is more versatile in terms of what watch bands it will go with, but style is subjective. I usually wear my silver case with a brown leather strap or a black leather loop knockoff. I also wear the blue silicone strap it came with. All of them look great with the silver.

3. EM2013, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Soon to be Apple Watch owner here, I was wondering if you can you track your workouts without your iPhone around? (Sorry not trying too steal the thread)

4. rishiomedia macrumors member

Hopefully you'll be able to. I'm also hoping that you can enter wifi passwords with Scribble.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

S2 Yes
    S1 Yes with limitations

6. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Great good to hear.

7. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

Do you have the GM in your series 0? If yes, did the map feature return?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sorry, I don't but others have reported it hasn't. In all likelihood it was a test run and will only be made available to the S2 buyers.