Watch keeps changing the face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gmouse, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Gmouse macrumors regular

I have a face with analog clock and items in all four corners that I can press on to run things. Two or three times a day this face changes to the one that's just a plain analog clock, with no items in the corners, and I have to change it back.

I am NOT touching or accidentally moving the face or crown or button, but I do wear a long-sleeved shirt which I suppose could be pressing on the face--just didn't think things would change from your shirt-sleeve?

Any thoughts? If it IS the shirt sleeve, is there any way to "lock" the face so it can't change unless I do some combo of touches?

Thanks.

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I have no idea why the Watch faces would be inadvertently changing on you. I haven't heard that before. But I don't tell believe it's your shirt sleeve that is changing the watch face. With Force touch, it takes quite a bit of pressure to push down and change the watch face.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yes, but with Watch OS 3, you just need to swipe to change between faces: no force touch required

I'd say the most logical answer is the OP is inadvertently swiping between faces

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

You are correct. That leads me to believe that possibly it is his short sleeve that is in advertently changing the watch face.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's quite easy to do, I've had it happen to me a few times.

6. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Yes me as well. Shirt sleeve seems to change the faces.

7. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Yes, and it's very iritating
    Every time you go to polish the face from oil or lint and it changes faces

8. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

My shirt sleeves cover my SS Series 0 completely, but I still manage to activate my complications accidentally on occasion. Especially the center compilation on the Modular face.

9. Moi Ici macrumors regular

Me too. It's a bit annoying. Was also beginning to doubt my sanity as I didn't remember changing the watch face :/

10. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It sounds as if OPs watch is just randomly forgetting the face he's customized and he has to customize it again.

If that's the case, unpair and re-pair your watch. I've had an issue where when I would change some setting on my watch, it would randomly revert and I would lose that setting. I could have created 2-3 watch faces and by the next time I look at it, my current face changed to a random one and all of the faces I had are gone - very annoying.

11. tzd macrumors newbie

When you say "change it back" I presume you mean you have to Customize the existing face again, rather than just swiping to change to a different face, am I correct?

If what you are experiencing is a single watch face that has its element changed all on its own (i.e. not a face changing due to swipe left or right), have you used the Weather app on your iPhone recently? If you use the Weather app on your iPhone and changed the temperature from F to C or vice versa, it could cause elements on your Watch face to disappear. This was supposed to be fixed in WatchOS 3.1.1 which had been pulled in December due to it bricking some watches.

12. Kyle76 macrumors regular

Kyle76

What if you went to the watch app and eliminated all other faces in My Faces? Wouldn't that solve your problem?

13. Gmouse thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have to recustomize anything, as my original face is available by just swiping right. It's just annoying
    and I don't get why a cloth shirt sleeve will be able to change things on my watch...I thought it was only flesh that could do that. Oh well...I've been living with it, so, I guess I will continue. Thanks, all, for the great responses...and, it's especially good to hear that I'm not the only one seeing this issue.

14. Birddog1 macrumors member

Birddog1

It happened to me yesterday as well. It's only happened once so far. If it happens more I may just eliminate all the other faces as mentioned above

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I've been wondering about this ever since that first post where the poster mentioned that his long sleeves would keep switching his watch faces. A few other people mentioned the same behavior.

I wear long-sleeved dress shirts every day and have never had this happen. Also, my coat has long sleeves and rub against my watch as well.

Just wondering what kinds of shirts the folks that have this issue are wearing. It's got to be conductive, right? Cotton isn't conductive, right?

16. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

This happens frequently to me also. Easy enough to switch back and mines goes to the butterfly face which is pretty to have on for awhile. :)

17. Birddog1 macrumors member

Birddog1

I also wear long sleeve dress shirts all day. That's when it happened for me but like I said, it's only happened once.

18. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

It has happened to me a few times too. There should be an option to lock they face or require force touch to change it. Only solution now would be to delete all faces except the one you want.

19. DdDr2 macrumors member

Have they updated this so that you be longer need to delete all the faces you saved ? It’s pretty silly, I think. I came on searching for a way to stop it from happening. I’d rather a right swipe access something more useful for me

20. jenniejh macrumors newbie

jenniejh

--- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    My watch is def not covered. I've just done the update and every single time I lift my arm the face has changed to analogue. I don't want to delete my watch faces - I'm gutted I did the update now. :(

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Happens multiple time a week and I wear short sleeves. It is quite easy to change faces, sometimes too easy but not hard to correct.

22. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

again not an ideal solution but if you don't want to delete your other watch faces, why not create half a dozen almost identical ones so even if you bump it once or twice you will still have the face you wnt

although if you delete faces, you can put them back any time you would just lose any customisations