Watch keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Confuzzeled23, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

Hi Everyone,

I received Aluminum Series 3 GPS Apple Watch for Christmas. The watch works fine with no issues while I am at home. When I go to work my phone reboots at least once an hour. The screen will go black and then show the Apple logo and I have to then wait for it boot up.

At work we have a public Wi-Fi access that requires me to agree to the terms on the iPhone. I can only assume that the Wi-Fi network could be the culprit of the reboot issue as it does not happen at home?

I am running WatchOS 4.2 on the watch. I have tried hard rebooting the watch, rebooting my iPhone. I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing my watch to my iPhone.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue at all or what could be causing it?

The thing is, multiple of my coworkers have Apple Watches and do not deal with this issue using the same Wi-Fi network. My iPhone is an iPhone 6 128GB running iOS 11.2.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The next time you are at work, try keeping the GPS turned off and see if that solves the problem. Given the work environment, it sounds like the watch or a third party app is getting stuck in a loop trying to engage the GPS, due to the signal being low or briefly random all the time.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Someone here had the same problem — rebooted when he worked in a hospital ICU. I think the presumption was that electronic interference in the work environment was to blame. Not sure if a solution/workaround was ever found.

4. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

I'm actually a Nurse as well. So it could help explain my issue. However, I did attempt erasing my watch and setting up as new while at work last night, I did it twice, and it hasn't rebooted in the last 5 hours of my shift. I'll keep updated if it reboots during my next shift. Thanks for the replies so far!

5. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

First shift back today. My watch rebooted within the first 2 hours. However I asked a few of my coworkers that are working today and theirs have never rebooted at home nor at work. Very strange.

6. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

To add, I’ve found this thread on the Apple Forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8110045

It appears to be a widespread issue affecting Series 3 in hospital settings. However I’ve spoken to Apple and they want to try replacing my watch. We shall see.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Did you try turning off the GPS while at work?

8. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

No I have not. I will try this tonight. What sorts of things will this disable on my watch? Weather? Steps? Distance walked?

Do I just disable location services in the watch settings?

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Turning it off will disable weather reading, distance walked and the like. You should still be able to count steps.

I think the floors you frequent (and general nurse environment equipment wise) is causing the watch to go into loops, because of the interference from one or more machines and or the building structure with the equipment. I don't think replacing the watch at this point is going to help, although there is nothing wrong with trying, especially if Apple is going to give you a brand new watch. You got nothing to lose. I think you will get less loops or no loops with location services off. If you have been using wifi, make sure that is turned off as well. If this works, you will have a better idea of the problem and can assist Apple.

10. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

I will try this for my night shift tonight. I’ll update my experience here. Thanks for the tip!

11. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

I’m almost half way through my shift and my Apple Watch rebooted around 2330. I looked at my watch and it was requesting my passcode and the watch app on the phone, under usage it said it must be fully charged to give the usage and standby time. However I unplugged my watch prior to coming into work.

So disabling location services did not remedy the issue.

12. David.Snider macrumors newbie

David.Snider

So my Series 3 is doing the same thing immediately after updating to 4.2. I don't work in a hospital setting and when I spoke with AppleCare this morning they said there have been 5 similar issues as mine today with the tech.

13. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

Did the give you any solutions?

14. David.Snider macrumors newbie

David.Snider

Send in and they will try to replicate. In about 4 weeks I should hear back.

Turnaround time is disappointing.

15. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

Wow. I guess it’ll be the same for myself when I get the box to ship to them. Very disappointed.

16. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Confuzzeled23

So I went an entire shift without my watch rebooting. Hopefully this is the new trend!