Watch loses LTE connectivity intermittently

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dokindo, May 9, 2018.

1. dokindo macrumors regular

I have a series 3 on Tmobile with an iPhone X, both on the latest software.

Frequently, but not always, when I leave the phone at home and am out with my watch, I don't have any LTE connectivity and there is the red X at the top of the watch home screen. Sometimes, rebooting the watch helps, but many times that does nothing.

I erased the watch and restored, but still having the same issue.

I called Apple and they say to call Tmobile, who I am sure will ask me to call Apple.

Any ideas?

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Take the phone to the same places and see how much signal you have? The watch will only connect when LTE is available and there is a fairly strong signal. (It also takes a little time to connect, so you should wait about 30 seconds before assuming it won't connect after you move around.)

3. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

To add to CobraPA, if your iPhone LTE is good I would look at replacing watch. Radio may be bad. Maybe have someone take pic of both at same time for Apple to see.

4. dokindo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks- it’s not a signal issue. I notice it mostly when I’m at the gym, where there’s excellent phone reception. Will take it to Genius Bar.

5. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Could be the Watch then... Is it strong LTE at the gym, or just strong phone reception? You can have strong signal, but no LTE, then the watch won’t connect.

6. MJ22 macrumors regular

This seems like a silly fix but sometimes when mine does this, it helps to just toggle cellular off and on again.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

While not really a fix it is faster to toggle LTE Off/On than reboot the watch. Is it possible your watch is trying to connect to the Gym's Wi-Fi?

Try disabling Wi-Fi on your watch when at the Gym and see what happens.

Dave

8. dokindo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! It seems to have been indeed an issue with the gym WiFi.

I disabled it, and the watch connected immediately to cellular. When I got back to my phone, I then “forgot” the gym WiFi. Next time at the gym, the watch connected to LTE automatically.

The gym WiFi doesn’t have a splash/accept screen, but clearly was causing issues for the watch. I know the phone has WiFi assist, maybe the watch could benefit similarly?