Watch makes decent emergency flashlight

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KauaiBruce, Apr 28, 2015.

1. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Hi,
    My power went out unexpectedly this evening when I was in an especially dark room of my house. I discovered the workout app (fully completed for the day) with all of the rings lights up enough to walk through the house to find a real flashlight.

Not a LOT of light but it beats feeling your way through the dark.

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

That can be useful especially for peole trying to get their keys into locks at night.

3. AJT-au macrumors member

AJT-au

I noticed that if you take the watch off and open the heart rate glance, the green lights that illuminate are quite bright.

4. simonx314 macrumors regular

I noticed this too. I opened an app that had a lot of bright colors and had plenty of light to walk through a dark room. It feels like I am wearing a Pip-Boy wrist computer from the video game Fallout which has a flashlight function for exploring dark environments of the game, which there are many.

I read somewhere that Apple is not approving flashlight apps for the Watch because it duplicates existing functionality of the phone. I hope Apple reverses this policy. Almost all of the Watch functions duplicate the functionality of the phone, so this is a poor excuse from Apple. I just want a quick way of turning the screen all white.