Watch Module Water Resistance

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MrGimper, May 20, 2015.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have washed my complete SS watch and WSB under running water a few times. Anyone know if the watch module is water resistant on its own?

Reason for asking is that there was a previous discussion that the strap made a water resistant seal with the attachment channels, which protected the top secret diagnostic port. Probably unfounded, but would like to check first :)

P.S. "Give it a try and report back" is not a valid answer, and you will only demonstrate your lack of imagination if you respond in this way :cool:

2. asfalloth macrumors member

asfalloth

In the official instructions from Apple for washing the crown under water to free it up a bit it mentions remove the strap first. This would indicate the strap being attached has no bearing on water resistance.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Looking at the sports band on my SG Sport I highly doubt that it seals the case in any way. There is still a very small gap which wouldn't help sealing the case.

Anyways, Apple clearly says that the watch is IPX7 tested and I take it for what it is, with or without band.

4. kdarling, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The diagnostic port cover hides little holes to the inside.

On the inside, a thin film with the contacts is held pressed up against the holes by a bar across its back, screwed in on each side.

So it's likely that the bar and the contact film forms a water barrier of its own.

Also, the cover itself is pretty tight fitting, which helps.

See step #18 in the iFixit teardown.