Watch Movies (.mkv) on iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ciwan, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Ciwan macrumors newbie

Hi guys

If I buy a new iPad Mini (Retina Display ones that just got announced) would I be able to play movies / tv shows that I have downloaded from the internet?

These are in HD, are huge and size and are of file type .mkv.

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Thank You.

2. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

iPads only play mp4 movies. You can convert other formats to mp4 using programs like Handbrake, but that's $45. There are a couple of free video converters, but they take about 10 hours to convert an 800MB video file.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

There are apps that let watch these video formats.

4. iParis, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Wrong. You can use VLC for iOS, which supports just about any video format. It's an amazing video player that I've been using since getting a Mac and plays everything flawlessly for me. And again, wrong about Handbrake, it's completely free and open source. Also, sure it depends on the software you're using to convert, but it also depends on your computer's hardware for how long it will take to convert a file. Try not to sound so ignorant before typing. So to the OP, if you want to use iTunes then you'll need to convert to an iPad compatible format / resolution, but if you don't mind not converting your files you can just download VLC. The latter would be much more simple.

5. nic78 macrumors newbie

iPads May only play mp4 by default but you can download apps like cinexplayer and VLC that can play multiple file formats including mkv. There are lots of free programs that can convert video files on your PC as well.

6. FrankB1191, Oct 27, 2013

FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

When I looked at Handbrake a few months ago, it was only free for the first ten minutes, i.e. a trial. True about the computer and speed of conversion.

From Cnet:
    1.0 stars
    "doesn't do what i bought it for"
    September 23, 2013 | By Shery P
    Version: HandBrake 0.9.9
    Pros
    the try if free records 3 minutes. That works.
    Fine if you want to watch your home movies on your iPad, but useless otherwise. I can copy my home movies already.
    Cons
    So I bought it, but after paying nearly $60, I find out it doesn't work on commercial DVDs. So I am out $60 and I still cannot watch my old DVDs on the Kindle, Ipad, etc. The support apres pay is non-existent.
    Summary
    Very definitely NOT worth the money.
    Reply to this review Read reply (1)
    Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

I tried downloading Handbrake and another conversion program, and they both had a fee for the full program.

A quick look at Cinexplayer doesn't look promising. Nearly every review complains about crashing in iOS 7...???
    I've only seen it in the App Store, so if it works for you, I'd be interested to know.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

o_O I have absolutely no idea where you saw Handbrake then, but I'm pretty certain it's always been free. Perhaps you were looking at fake site that wanted you to pay for it or had a real program that isn't free opened in another tab and just got confused. My Mac mini takes hours upon hours to convert, but that's obvious given it's older hardware. I have yet to compare it on my MacBook though so I'm hoping it's better.

I wasn't trying, it just kind of happens when my ego starts wanting to be right. :p It wasn't about who I was talking to, it was about being right. Ahh, the cons of embracing your flaws. Merr. I used to live in New Mexico, but a little over two weeks ago moved to Manhattan, New York, so I'm way closer than I was!

*can't tell if implicating physical threat or not*

8. iParis, Oct 27, 2013

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Huh. That's really, really weird. Well try downloading it from the hyperlink in my first post! If you for some reason have to pay for it, I'm incredibly sorry, because that shouldn't happen. I also find it odd there's bad reviews. I've converted tons of DVDs and movies I've had downloaded and got great results and that goes for 480p, 720p, and 1080p.

I don't know anything about Cinexplayer and have never used it, so I can't really reference that part, but VLC works great for me, pretty much just as great as it does on my MacBook.

9. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I tried downloading Handbrake from Cnet, but looked around just now based on what you posted. Will try to download it again. The program I was using was called Convert Anything for Free (or something like that :D ), and it just took forever on my PC. I'm too afraid to download anything to crazy on my new Mac, but my PC is has been downgraded to disposable now.

Try to ignore my pre-edit post. Seemingly rude comments don't sit well with me, but I'm willing to start fresh. ;)

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Some apps, like MP4 Tools, will just convert the audio for you, which is pretty quick, but as you say, the files are huge. Is your plan to store them on the iPad for viewing away from home, or just viewing at home?

If you just want to view them at home, Air Video Server HD will stream them to your iPad - it does the audio conversion on the fly. It will also convert and download to your iPad for playback away from home. And if your internet connection is good, it will also stream remotely at lower quality.

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ahhh. Definitely know how that is. Those programs can really take a toll on a system, especially a PC! But you should try Handbrake on your Mac! OS X handles video converting programs like that really well and the UI is probably way better than your Windows program! Don't be afraid to take advantage of your Mac's great potential!

What pre-edit post? ;) I hate my ego sometimes and how it likes to test the barrier between inappropriate and not, so I understand people's frustration with me. If you noticed, I didn't let it get to me and kind of just kept going along with it, haha. :)

12. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I downloaded it from your link, and it was free...LOL! I don't have anything to convert at the moment, but might download it to my Mac tomorrow. My PC has seen better days, so I'm actually looking for a virus that'll put it out of my misery. :D

13. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You have the best virus of them all: Windows. Haha. ;P

14. Ciwan thread starter macrumors newbie

15. 556duckvader macrumors newbie

You can use Serviio to transcode it on the fly. Serviio is DLNA software so you can use it to stream music, videos, and photos. If you want to watch movies on your iPad you can use the media browser that is built into the new version. It's a web based media browser and the good thing is you can punch a hole in your firewall for the port that it uses and you can watch movies while you are away from home.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You may be able to use Subler (free) to losslessly convert to .m4v, depending on the codecs used. This is much quicker than Handbrake and won't affect video quality, but will not work for every video.

17. biosci macrumors 6502a

You can use Plex and your home mac as a server. When you have the client on your iPad, it will automatically convert the file and load it onto your iPad for viewing without needing an internet connection. Not sure if you have to be a PlexPass user though for that feature. I am so I automatically get to use all new features but not sure what is free vs paid for now...

18. biosci macrumors 6502a

19. wepiii macrumors 6502

I use a program called IVI which is available for windows and Mac. It isn't free, but it's very fairly priced. I think it's like $9.99. It is the fastest and best converter I have used. It also automatically adds all the correct metadata and DVD covers to your movies as well.

20. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Forget what anyone tells you. The iPad Mini is capable of running 1080p MKV files locally, and even stream them too! :)

I use AVPlayerHD on my iPad Mini. You can store the files locally, and it'll play any video format you want. It has hardware decoding, which enables it to run 1080p MKV files very smoothly. The app also has FTP streaming functionality, so if you have a FTP server, it can also stream video too. Streaming is also capable of 1080 MKV.

I think the app is around $5, so it's really not expensive for the functionality and the capability it gives you. VLC pretty much sucks on iOS, not even capable of running 720p MKVs. I say get this app, and enjoy. I'm not related to anyway to the app developers, but I've been using this app since I got my Mini a year ago, and has really helped me a lot to watch movies and tv shows on my iPad.

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hm. Which devices have you used VLC on and what was the last version you used? I never have any problems with it on my iPhone 5, though maybe there's issues with the iPad mini with the 4S hardware.

22. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

There's no need to convert MKV files to MP4, they are just containers for the same format. A software that can mux/demux them can get you MP4 very quickly without converting.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not necessarily. Some mkv files do contain mp4, but others contain other formats. And many mkv files have audio formats which are incompatible with iTunes. So those have to be converted.

24. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Yes, I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad Mini. Both have the A5 chip. VLC just struggles with HD non-MP4 movies. AVPlayerHD runs everything smoothly though, thanks to hardware-decoding.

25. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

AC-3 particularly, which is fairly commonplace in Matroska files, and incomprehensible to an iOS device.

Nonetheless, it's a bit unusual for video these days to not be MPEG-4 of some variety (whether "Xvid" or H.264), which does leave remuxing a useful technique. MP4Tools is a good option, and one I've used a few times.