Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Watch: New iPad Air Unboxing Videos and First Impressions

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's embargo has lifted on reviews for the new iPad Air ahead of its launch on Friday. In addition to our more detailed review roundup, we've shared a handful of unboxing videos and first impressions of the device below.

The new iPad Air via Karl Conrad

The new iPad Air features a larger 10.9-inch edge-to-edge display, a faster A14 Bionic chip, and a USB-C port instead of Lightning. It is also the first Apple device to feature Touch ID built into the power button. Pricing starts at $599 for Wi-Fi models, while cellular models start at $729, with 64GB and 256GB storage capacities available.

With its slimmer bezels, the new iPad Air looks very similar to the iPad Pro. The device is offered in five finishes: space gray, silver, rose gold, green, and sky blue.

Videos

The new iPad Air will begin arriving to customers Friday.

Article Link: Watch: New iPad Air Unboxing Videos and First Impressions

Last edited:

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I sold my iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017 for 350 EUR yesterday so I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Unfortunately I did not realise it was even out last week until 45 minutes later so my delivery window is Nov 10 now. (impatient)

I have the worst luck, twice now I saw it randomly pop up as available for in-store pick up on Friday and both times it became unavailable JUST as I was hitting the final "purchase now" button.

I have noticed that it has now been changed to simply "not available at the stores" over night. Also, it seems like there are quite some iPad delays in general. Even the "old" iPad Pro does not ship until mid November.

My hope is now that they will have some limited stock in the morning of the launch day. That worked for me with the Apple Watch Series 6. Randomly saw it available and was able to pick it up 3 hours later

Last edited:

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2014
I have a 10.5 that runs great..but this white spot issue pops up on every device I get after a few months. Tempted to cut the cord, trade it in, and get an iPad where I am not sending my 10.5 back to apple every 6 months.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2014
Most of the time when I watch these unboxing videos, I have to mute audio. I can't bare those squeaky, over-exited influencer voices. I can usually spot them by their highly reflective sunglasses.
And vape pens. But nobody is making us watch but ourselves in the end.. it's like bad reality tv... you just can't look away.

m.x

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
I sold my iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017 for 350 EUR yesterday so I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Unfortunately I did not realise it was even out last week until 45 minutes later so my delivery window is Nov 10 now. (impatient)

I have the worst luck, twice now I saw it randomly pop up as available for in-store pick up on Friday and both times it became unavailable JUST as I was hitting the final "purchase now" button.

I have noticed that it has now been changed to simply "not available at the stores" over night. Also, it seems like there are quite some iPad delays in general. Even the "old" iPad Pro does not ship until mid November.

My hope is now that they will have some limited stock in the morning of the launch day. That worked for me with the Apple Watch Series 6. Randomly saw it available and was able to pick it up 3 hours later

This has to be the weirdest Apple product launch ever. First they announce it, but give no pre-order date, and then it disappears for a month with no word at the iPhone keynote, until it is silently available for pre-order.
Makes me wonder what happened there: is it just not that important? Then why did they talk so much about it at the September event? Did they have some manufacturing problems with it? Again, why announce it so early? To fill the hole of the missing iPhone at the Watch event? Maybe they didn't want to spoil the iPhone launch date, but again, why haven't they simply said a single sentence at the Hi Speed-event? It's really chaotic and confusing for the customer.

pilotpat

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2015
Nebraska, USA
This has to be the weirdest Apple product launch ever. First they announce it, but give no pre-order date, and then it disappears for a month with no word at the iPhone keynote, until it is silently available for pre-order.
Makes me wonder what happened there: is it just not that important? Then why did they talk so much about it at the September event? Did they have some manufacturing problems with it? Again, why announce it so early? To fill the hole of the missing iPhone at the Watch event? Maybe they didn't want to spoil the iPhone launch date, but again, why haven't they simply said a single sentence at the Hi Speed-event? It's really chaotic and confusing for the customer.
I was thinking maybe it had something to do with FCC approval. The iphone 12 pro max still hasn't been approved. And I think the 12 and 12 pro were approved the either day before or a few days before the iphone event.

Reactions: m.x

AppleUser2

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I really like how Macrumors do this now - so many review videos to choose from - great selection.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I wonder why every YouTube video key frame has to have a person with a fake surprised expression on their face?
I think Paul's Hardware or Linus talked about this, but those stupid thumbnails actually get their videos a lot more views and impressions. I HATE it, and I actively try to not watch videos where they do that, even if I am interested in the topic. I think it says a lot about the audience they're catering to for views and revenue.

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Can you tell me why? Most articles, it says buttery smooth or silky smooth scrolling. I am pretty sue that is not it
Don’t trust them, they just say what they need to in order to stay on Apples mailing list. Obviously it’s not going to be terrible, but iPad Pro 120hz smooth it ain’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.