Watch New UK Plug

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by parallax33, May 19, 2015.

1. parallax33 macrumors regular

This is so typical Apple. Solved a real world problem and rolled it out as part of a new product release...

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/ccxyleiw4aa8ati.jpg?w=1374&h=1374

2. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It was available to purchase separately on the watch launch day!

Attached Files:

4. rosario1990 macrumors regular

Titanic sank this happened many years ago right. But I saw the whole movie of Titanic.

5. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Out of interest, what "real world problem" did this solve?

6. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

I'm thrilled that Apple has adopted this design, but folding UK plugs have been commercially available for quite some time. I have been using one with my Mac power adapter for six years.

----------

1) Limited space for packing adapters: the large protruding pins of UK plugs take up a lot of space relative to many other international plug styles;

2) Damage: the metal pins on UK plugs could easily damage items held in the same compartment of a bag, whereas the folded pins should be much less likely to do so;

3) Injury: people step on UK plugs surprisingly often (I have done it once and it hurt, a lot). This should be less of an issue if the pins are folded, and it is possible that stepping on unfolded pins would cause them to fold thus reducing pain/injury.

7. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

You haven't experienced real pain until you have stepped on a UK plug, and Lego.

8. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

This isn't as much of an overstatement as some may think. A few years ago I had a bike accident, and severed tendons in three of my fingers. Subsequent treatment was extremely painful, culminating in wearing a tourniquet for 45 minutes during an operation to repair the damage (for anybody who hasn't had this experience it was very nearly painful enough for me to pass out). The time that I stepped on an upturned UK plug with my full body weight was genuinely comparable to the operation.