Watch no longer asking me to unlock

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leenak, Apr 30, 2015.

1. leenak macrumors 68020

So I've seen people with various quirks but either my watch now recognizes my wrist or it is wonky :) I was able to even use apple pay at Whole Foods today but I haven't entered a passcode in 2 days.

I guess the answer is to reset it but I guess I also don't mind

2. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

do you have unlock with iPhone enabled in the watch app under passcode?

4. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, but I've taken it off and it never asks me for my passcode when I put it back on. I take 2 showers/day as well as sleep, so I'd say I take it off 3 times/day.

----------

Nope, it has that greyed out.

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Don't believe, sorry.

6. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

Maybe I'm imagining it then...

I bought groceries today with Apple pay yet didn't have to put a code in at anytime today.. The setting on my phone says requires passcode.

I just figure it is a bug in the software.

7. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I wouldn't be so happy about being able to use Apple Pay without putting in a passcode. Have you tried doing it with your watch off your wrist just to check if it would work? Seems like a security risk.

8. swandy macrumors regular

You are not supposed to be asked to enter a Passcode to use any of the cards (credit cards, Starbucks, etc.) in Passbook.
    However, you are supposed to be asked to enter the passcode after removing the watch from your wrist and putting it back on. And turning off the wrist sensor does automatically turn off the passcode requirement, but also removes any cards from Passbook.
    Sounds like something is wrong with the wrist sensors then. I would speak to Apple about it - or preferably bring it into an Apple store. Something definitely wrong because as soon as I remove my Watch from my wrist, the next time it lights up it requires the passcode.
    (Unless your skin pealed off and got stuck on the sensors????)

9. flur macrumors 68000

I rebooted my watch today and went to enter the passcode, hit the wrong first number and then the back button, and the passcode screen disappeared and the watch just started working like I'd unlocked it. IMO this is probably a bug.

10. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

So this morning, it asked for my passcode. I'm going to monitor it and see if it happens again but it is very odd.

And I know it is a security feature but I also think it'd be unlikely I'd lose my watch.

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I was under the assumption that you can bypass entering a passcode by unlocking your phone with Touch ID.

Perhaps that's it?

12. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

That is only if you have that setting set, I don't. Plus I hadn't touched my phone for over an hour when I was at Whole Foods.

And i don't know the timeout on the sensor either, because I've tried taking my watch off for a couple minutes this morning, and putting it back on. It didn't ask me for a code. I then tried seeing if Apple pay came up, it does.

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Greyed out off? Or on? Have you tried taking your watch off, letting it lock, then putting it back on and unlocking your phone to see if it unlocks?

And what about wrist detection under general in the watch app?

It's suppose to be required to use apple pay but maybe having it off then enabling apple pay allows you to bypass that requirement.

14. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

I meant off (green being on, grey being off).

And I had 2 nights where it was off for 8 hours and no lock symbol. So far today, it asked me to unlock this morning when I put it on, then took it off twice for about 1 minute each, put it back on, no ask for lock. Went to store again, used it for apple pay (hadn't touched my phone for over an hour), then took it off for 30 minutes, put it back on, it never asked me to unlock.

And I took it off again right now and didn't even have it on my wrist and I was able to bring Apple pay up. (I used my phone probably 30 minutes ago?)

15. leenak, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

I am including a picture, the watch has been off my wrist for a few minutes, I brought up apple pay with a piece of paper as the background. And I did take the picture with my phone but I tested doing this before touching my phone.

Only thing I have under the passcode setting is "Simple Passcode", the other option being "unlock with phone", which I don't have enabled.

And for Passbook & Apple pay, the setting is "mirror my phone"

(the red @ symbols are just to obscure the digits it shows)

Attached Files:

16. leenak, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

And I'm also aware that doing a reset or turning off the phone may fix the problem, but it is just a funky that it isn't operating as expected.

And I decided to add a picture of watch face with no lock symbol, it has been off my wrist for 15 minutes

Attached Files:

17. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Maybe there's a problem with the sensors underneath.

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling wrist detection?

18. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

I thought maybe it was the sensors so I turned the watch off and back on. Now it is asking me to unlock as soon as I take it off. So I'll just monitor it.

19. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Definitely not supposed to do that. I'd reset and if issues persist, bring it to Apple.

20. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

21. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

It should ask when I take it off though.

22. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Why? It still has multiple factors of authentication. As it has physical contact AND is an encrypted pair to your phone I would expect it to be smarter and not need to ask.

23. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Because that's the way it works? If it comes off the wrist it should require a passcode.

24. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

But it doesn't have physical contact? And in most cases, my phone wasn't even in the same room as me.

25. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Any update on this? My watch may have shown the same symptoms this morning.

Thanks!