Watch not automatically connecting to cellular

slefkoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I don't use the cellular option on my Series 3 (T-Mobile) Apple Watch very often, maybe once a month. Each time I move far enough from my phone to lose the connection to the phone, I get the red "X". The only time it will connect to cellular is if I restart it. Anyone have that problem? Solutions? TIA.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
How long are you waiting before restarting it? When I move out of Bluetooth range I will get the red X and then it figures out that it needs to connect to cellular. I've never timed it, but I would say it takes less than a minute. I also have T-Mobile.

Reactions: slefkoff

slefkoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
How long are you waiting before restarting it? When I move out of Bluetooth range I will get the red X and then it figures out that it needs to connect to cellular. I've never timed it, but I would say it takes less than a minute. I also have T-Mobile.
I'll wait a long time. Last time I went for a 25 minute run. When it hadn't connected maybe 15 min in, I restarted it. Then it connected instantly. It seems to only happen when I stay connected to my phone (and don't use cellular) for a long time.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
I don’t use US carrier but my Telstra network is connected very quickly when phone signal is lost.

akidokraja

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
I don't use the cellular option on my Series 3 (T-Mobile) Apple Watch very often, maybe once a month. Each time I move far enough from my phone to lose the connection to the phone, I get the red "X". The only time it will connect to cellular is if I restart it. Anyone have that problem? Solutions? TIA.
Exact same thing I just went through. And the solution for me was to reset All Network Settings in iPhone. After that it connects fine.
The issue is that the watch will try to connect to WiFi and if there are open WiFi networks in the area it will think it has internet connection while in reality it doesn’t. It’s a bug that has been there since AW3 cane out. Apple said they fixed it but it doesn’t seem like it. I am on 4.3.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: rojocrandall

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Seems like this just recently started for me as well. It’s pretty annoying.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
The last time I disconnected I had this issue as well. It seems intermittent more than anything.
Provider: ATT
watchOS: 4.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.