Watch not inheriting wifi network

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Videomanmac, May 25, 2015.

1. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

Whenever at my home or school, I sometimes leave my watch in the basement or in my locker, my phone is connected to wifi, but my watch will not work, it will work as if it was not connected to the phone or wifi. The weather will not update, etc. What am I doing wrong?

2. BrewMan macrumors newbie

Same here.

I thought (probably erroneously) that I would still be able to receive iMessages, new Email, and other notifications if my Watch was connected to Wifi.

I get occasional iMessages on the watch, but its not consistent.

(Just got my :apple:Watch yesterday, :) )

3. amro macrumors 6502

Do a search on wifi in this forum. It's not as automatic as you would expect. Basic jist of it is that the watch does not work on 5GHz. Pair while the phone is on a 2.4GHz. You can then put your phone back on the 5GHz after you confirm the watch works. The watch does have it's own MAC address and should show up in your routing tables.

Check this out: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7018803?start=0&tstart=0

There really should be sticky about this.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It should. I can do everything via wifi that I can via Bluetooth **as long as the phone and watch can communicate with each other over wifi**.

The issues can be various firewalls on the wifi network blocking the necessary ports/protocols (happens at my workplace) and the somewhat buggy phone-to-watch wifi handoff that some are experiencing.

5. BrewMan macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the tips! I will look into this.

We have several differently named routers (So while my iPhone might be on Router_1 the Watch is over on Router_5.) Do Phone and Watch need to be on the same wi-fi router for the messages to continue to roll in?

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No, they do not need to be on the same physical router, not as far as I can tell. I have two in my house, one at each end (no way to put just one in the center).

They are, however, both set to broadcast the same SSID name configured via Apple's Airport app.

As long as they're on the same subnet and can communicate peer-to-peer.

7. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Yep Probably should be a sticky. But I think we will keep seeing frustrated posts.

I tried all the tips -- still doesn't work on about half my wireless networks. On some it does work. It seems pretty random to me, and it very difficult to address since all the elements are hidden in the software. This is one thing I hope is improved in future software releases.

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Not sure I'm misreading you perhaps, but if your watch is in a locker or such rather than on your arm, it will probably just sleep and wait for you to pick it up again rather than constantly request status updates over wifi...in order to save battery. :)