Watch Only Counting Partial Exercise with watchOS 4.3 and 4.3.1

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Traverse, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Hi everyone,

I've been having a really annoying issue. I've had my S3 watch since December and never hand an issue until watchOS 4.3. I will go on a 45 or even 1.5 hour walk or run and the exercise is recorded, but my activity ring only gets a random portion.

For example, today I went for a 45 minute walk. My heart rate is up and I keep a pace of about 3.5 miles and hour. When I finish and save the workout the actives app on my phone shows a 45 minute workout, but my activity ring only got 18 minutes of exercise. I've tried unpairing and restoring the watch and it hasn't helped. The issue persists on watchOS 4.3.1.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not sure if it counts as exercise until you HR reaches a certain amount.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Right, but it stays around 120 to 140.

I have had a Series 0 for 1.5 years and am S3 for 6 months, this is the first time exercises aren’t registering.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Go to your Health app and select "Exercise Minutes". This is your green ring.

Select "Show All Data", then select whichever day has the workout with the issue.

Then go down to the starting time of that particular workout and see which individual minutes are being skipped.

Then try to figure out what was going on during your walk when you had big chunks of minutes that weren't registering against the green ring. If you use an app like RunGap, you can see your instantaneous pace over the duration of the walk. Perhaps your speed was dipping below the "exercise" threshold, which I think is 3.5 mph.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Interesting as I didn't know this detail was there. I see clearly where it skipped minutes in my 40 minute workout and only included 24 minutes, but I'm not sure why. My average pace was 20'04', but does that make sense if I did 2 miles in 40 minutes?

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

That average pace sounds about right. 2 miles in 40 minutes is a 20min0sec pace. There's probably some rounding that makes it 20min4sec pace.

At that pace, it's a 3 mph speed. Therefore, you dipped below 3.5 mph (or whatever the threshold is) for several minutes during the walk. According to the AW, you must have had about 16 of these dips throughout the walk.

If you really want to dig into this, get RunGap and let it connect to your Health App. Then you can get a chart showing the speed throughout your walk. I bet that you'll see that your speeds dipped at the same spots where you were not getting Exercise credits.

7. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

*cough* Ahem. Well, this is awkward. I misread pace. I thought higher was better. This is telling.

Don’t judge me. :D