Watch OS 5 Battery Life Poll

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Freakonomics101, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Freakonomics101, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Tried searching for a thread for battery life (opinions and results) with OS 5. Please post what watch you have, size, GPS or cellular and the age of the device.

Mine:

Apple Watch Series 3 42mm GPS... I’m impressed. I use my watch the same way, day to day. I walk 8+ miles daily and use it for text and call alerts. Alarms and sometimes for a timer. Heart rate tracking is another one. But biggest use is exercise. I rarely use the workout app.

Been unplugged since last night, shortly after midnight. I’m on a walk now. At 3 miles, consistently walking (faster pace). 1 hour and 33 minutes of “usage” time.

Current percentage is at 91%. My S2 38mm would be in the mid 80s right now, on the same OS build.

This is my first full day of using it so I’m curious to see how long a charge will last but I try my best to not let it go below 20%.

Edit: 4.5 miles, almost an hour later, dropped 1%. Heart rate is checked more often than not.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My 44mm SBSS LTE get slightly better battery life than my AW3.

3. Freakonomics101 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Did you have the 38 or 42? A single charge last at least 24 or up to 48 hours?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

MY AW3 was 42mm. It would go on the charger at about 65-70% remaining on the average day. My new watch is going on the charger at about 75-80% on the average day.

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

I haven't noticed a difference in battery life between WatchOS 4 and WatchOS 5 with my 38mm S3 GPS. I typically have 50-60% remaining at the end of the day when I go to bed.

6. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

My S2 42mm was typically at 60-65% at the end of each day after 17 hours, including around 90 minutes of significant activity. It was the same with watchOS 4 and up to 5.0 (I didn't update to 5.0.1).

My S4 44mm seems roughly the same, though it hasn't been in use long enough to tell for sure. However after 8 hours, including 75 minutes of significant activity, it is showing 91%... which is the same as the S2 typically would at this time of a normal day.

7. newellj macrumors 604

Piggybacking on NA's post for convenience...I would say it's about the same, if I use the same face and complications. With the Infographic face and active complications, it was slightly worse. That's comparing S3 42mm and S4 44mm.

One thing I've noticed - the first few days with a new S4 and wOS 5 are worse than steady state with the S3and wOS 4 or 5. I've had that experience twice (returned the first S4) so I don't think it's a coincidence.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am still using the "Utility" face which has few complications on it than the Inforgraphic.

Battery is not going to be an issue.

9. valenrandy macrumors regular

valenrandy

In my experiences:

My old S2 SS 42 watch would last me 48 hours 100% to about 5% with 30min of exercise daily and carrot weather as my complication.

my not as old S3 SS LTE 42 Would last me roughly the same as my S2 with same usage patterns. Of note, the S3 would last me nearly 3 days (65) hours if I had raise to wake off, but for some reason I can no longer replicate that???

My new SS LTE 44 S4 with same usage as my older watches nets me closer to 36-40 hours between 100% and 10%.
    I have not been doing any exercise and have been using the both new infograph faces. Its possible these new info dense faces may be causing a bigger use of my battery. I have activity auto detect start and stop off and gym equipment detect off. I only have carrot weather on as a background refresh item.

Its not terrible but it could be better I suppose.

10. Freakonomics101 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

[​IMG]
    I definitely have to agree with you. I don’t use any special watch faces. I just care about having at least 4 complication spots, which what’s shown in the picture is my favorite one. I love what is shown with the weather app at that specific spot.

Edit: 12 hours, down 10%.

11. newellj macrumors 604

Me too (went back to it after experimenting with Infographic and Infographic modular), and agreed.

12. Peen macrumors member

I put my AW S4mm with XS Max on left wrist, and AW S3 42mm with iPhone SE on right wrist, both installed with same backup. Do they exact same thing with both, and AW S3 wins battery life every time. But not by much. I only tried this when I work from home so I don't look like a goon wearing 2 Apple Watches ;)

13. OBirder macrumors 6502

OBirder

44mm AW4 is about the same as 42mm AW 3.
    Typically around 50% at end of day.

This includes average 90 minutes workout and I now use the Infograph face with a few complications which have to update frequently.

Since I charge nightly, battery life not a problem.

14. Freakonomics101 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

I’m sure OS 5 will increase battery life of the S4 to match the S3 but not sure how much of a difference they can make considering the screens are bigger and batteries are smaller. The chips may be more efficient but they can’t make up enough to account for the larger screens.

23 hours unplugged and I’m at 73%. Watch is not bogged down with all features turned off. Everything is on, even raise to wake and Hey Siri. It’s not FitBit battery life but for how much the Apple Watch offers that the FitBit doesn’t, pretty impressive.

15. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Been wearing the watch since about 9 in the morning and now it’s 1 in the morning the next day. So that’s about 16 hours with about 3 hours of constant music and data / cellular connection usage today and the watch is still at 40%

[​IMG]

16. Mercenary macrumors 65816

Mercenary

Try again and swap wrists as your dominant wrist will also always move more.