nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
There seem to have been some improvements to my Series 5 afterward. It was having serious issues with Siri re: Homekit (raise to wake, speak and it said 'one moment, hold on, i didn't hear back from your devices') and workout detection/stand credits not happening unless i seriously shook it or danced.

It seems to have fixed workout detection for me, haven't tested Siri yet. I've stopped using it for Homekit (my Series 3 on 6.1 worked fine...odd how the 5 is broken there) until I read something that suggests its fixed. I've just used Home app as it's faster than having to try three-five times in order to get one stupid light to turn on.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Se1 6.1.1
Is it standard practice that Siri only works when AirPods are connected.
Iv'e never had a Voice command accepted via Crown though Siri is awake via text.

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Mine are both Series 3 and Series 5. You can invoke Siri with 'Hey Siri' and homekit works fine, so does texting. But the Series 5 is broken if you use 'raise to wake Siri' (works fine on my 3 though).

Homekit command after raise to wake (Siri shows as listening during my saying command:

Hold on...
I'm on it...
Still waiting...

Sorry, I didn't hear back from your devices.

(try same command three more times it eventually works.)

"Hey siri send a text to [contact name here]"

I'm on it. Uh oh, I lost the connection. Let me try again. Ok i'll send this "shows text and it goes through within a minute"

It's consistent that way on Series 5. My Series 3 works perfectly.

After update:

Works a bit better. Just tested Homekit on my 5, It still shows 'hold on, Still waiting' but eventually spells it out and works using raise to wake. Hey Siri works fine for Homekit. Each time iPhone in my pocket.

Texting still produces the message, then the 'I lost the connection let me try again' error but works anyway so I've ignored it as nothing more than annoyance.

Comment

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
North east England
Interesting, a lot of SE owners are experiencing similar issues with Siri after first updating to OS6. I was hoping 6.1.1 would have fixed it but it hasn't - my watch is a series 4. My last contact with support was to take the watch back to an Apple store to sort the issue, possibly with a replacement watch (although others who have gone down this route have updated the replacement watch with with OS6 and the problem comes back. Doesn't look like Apple are in hurry to fix this sadly.

Heres the other thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...watch-series-4-after-watchos6-update.2201890/

Comment

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I have a S4 Nike + and have had any issues with the raise to wake Siri function. I’m updated to 6.1.1 and so far, everything seems smooth.

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
My issue could best be described as 'slow response' re: Siri. It's like the connection is super slow. Again, the Series 3 was fine, but Series 5 is not. It's better, but still slow. Siri is like what I've read the Series 0 users experiencing. Only instead of getting 'I'll tap you when I am ready' it just times out. On my 5, it's just when you use raise to wake (I noticed when i use that it won't even spell out the command until after I finish speaking and that's only if it doesn't time out, but when you say Hey Siri it dictates the command immediately then it's just the lag when performing the command.)

The mic in the Series 5 is supposed to be better than the Series 3 hence the noise app but my experience it's ten times worse than the Series 3's mic. Dictation fails entirely if you got a TV going.

Comment

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
My battery drains faster on 6.1.1, unfortunately. Nothing extreme, but when I charge in the evening and would wake up at 91%, I now wake up at 86%. I can‘t get through two full days anymore.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
mine does seem better since the update I must say...I don't tend to look at the battery % anymore.

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Just went through a couple days testing to see if Siri is fixed. While I still get the lag "hold on...I'm on it" it actually works the first time now. Workout detection is spot on now, and my stand credits don't need me to shake my watch like an auto-winder to count anymore.

Battery life has always been decent for me given the AOD. I always got a day or a day and a half.

Comment

anthonyzp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Siri Watch Face broken with 6.1.1 now. Calendar events no longer appear. They appear in the calendar app on watch but do not appear on the face. Have tried all basic troubleshooting steps, reset sync etc, no dice.

Anyone else?

Comment

Beachmusic18

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
St Petersburg
After installing 6.1.1 on my series 4 the previous day, I finished yesterday with 35% which is far and away better than what it has ever been since day 1! That includes an 1 3/4 hr workout and a flurry of texts last night, so I’m thrilled! Previously it wasn’t unusual to end a day with a 10% battery warning, and 20% was an extreme rarity.

Comment

Phuz01

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Anybody noticed a major battery hit since installing 6.1.1? I'm on a Series 3 and used to end the day with 50-60%, and now it's down to 20-30%.

Comment

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Battery life has been similar to earlier os versions.
49% tonight almost 14 hours passed.
Only ever got 24 hrs or some more from se1 as I charge every night to avoid 10% running early next day.
As mentioned before iPhone Xs struggles to last a full day which can be disappointing and inconvenient, any other Apple users run about daft trying to charge devices every single might ?

Comment

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Battery life has been similar to earlier os versions.
49% tonight almost 14 hours passed.
Only ever got 24 hrs or some more from se1 as I charge every night to avoid 10% running early next day.
As mentioned before iPhone Xs struggles to last a full day which can be disappointing and inconvenient, any other Apple users run about daft trying to charge devices every single might ?
No. I just put mine on the charger when I go to bed

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Well my issues have resurfaced re: Siri/Microphone problems

I swear I have to have gotten a defect watch or something. Raise to wake this morning to turn on one lamp (it was dark and rainy) and it vibrated twice and returned to home screen like it didn't bloody attempt. Second try it lagged and worked.

Second time, wanted another overhead light on, It sat there 'I'm on it...Stand by please...Still waiting...I didn't hear back from your devices'

STUPID!!! It didn't even fill out the entire command. Since the noise app is a feature on the Series 5 I figured it has to have a much better microphone than the Series 3 they left the app out of, but it sucks!

Third time, and I swear after a fourth failure the watch goes back, It didn't even do the raise to wake period. I just sat there yelling at my watch face over and over again, had to hold the crown in. I'd just use 'Hey Siri' if it didn't wake up every Apple product in the house.

I do believe either the mic is faulty, or the accelerometer has broken/gotten stuck/gimbal locked/whatever, or both. Sucks as it's a nice watch. If only the 3 got the Infographic face I'd never have needed the 5. Can't even get a 4 to see if it's different.

Never in my life with Apple products have I ever gotten a defect.

UPDATE:

I set my iPhone wifi to static IP after having some DHCP leasing issues with the iPhone (wifi calling was not staying enabled, and had super slow network latency--pulling up duckduckgo search page too a full two minutes) and it fixed some of the lag, but I'm still getting the 'double tap then goes back to watch face' when using Raise to wake Siri every other time. Crash? Just vibrates twice and dumps back to watch face.

Definite hardware fault re:gyro/accelerometer. It gets 'stuck' meaning the face never leaves AOD mode, just stays dim, which kills raise-to-wake. Slapping watch against a table fixes it temporarily. shaking wrist also helps, but never stays fixed.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.