'Watch OS' to be rebranded as 'watchOS'

cambookpro

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
OK, so a fairly minor point, but it appears that at WWDC the Apple Watch OS will be rebranded from 'Watch OS' to 'watchOS'. This appears on the banners they are putting up and the WWDC app.

I suppose it's to make it more consistent with iOS?

Reactions: fullauto

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have been calling it wOS since the :apple:Watch forum opened (or maybe before). Only makes sense when we get to 2.0 and I bet that will be it next year.

Comment

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Eh, it's hard to tell from this blurry image, but it's possible it's more like "WATCHOS" (with the "WATCH" part in the stylized small caps that they've been using).

Comment

cambookpro

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Eh, it's hard to tell from this blurry image, but it's possible it's more like "WATCHOS" (with the "WATCH" part in the stylized small caps that they've been using).
If you download the WWDC app, they're also referring to it as 'watchOS' there - I've just downloaded it and attached a screenshot below. Though it could be stylised in their marketing, I think the general name might shift to 'watchOS'.

Attachments

Comment

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
If you download the WWDC app, they're also referring to it as 'watchOS' there - I've just downloaded it and attached a screenshot below. Though it could be stylised in their marketing, I think the general name might shift to 'watchOS'.
Good call, I guess it probably is all lowercase, then. I hadn't seen the WWDC app.

Comment

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
I have been calling it wOS since the :apple:Watch forum opened (or maybe before). Only makes sense when we get to 2.0 and I bet that will be it next year.
To me, that actually makes more sense.
iPhone OS (iOS) Watch OS (wOS)

It's a lot easier to understand and use.
This: Apple Watch watchOS 2.0
VS This: Apple Watch wOS 2.0

Comment

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
I think, despite the blurry image, it's quite clear to see that it says iOS, OSX and watchOS. Although, I never actually thought this wasn't a thing. I guess it just kind of makes sense.

Comment