Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Pre Watch OS3, I enabled the setting to keep the face watch active while running the workout app. That way while my workout was being tracked, I could turn my wrist to see my modular face with workout specific complications. If I needed to get into the Workout app, I would double tap the digital crown.

But now, having installed Watch OS3 GM, I'm not seeing that option anymore. I've fiddled around with "On Screen Show Last App" but I'm not totally sure what that means -- and regardless, it still defaults to the workout app, not the watch face. This makes no sense -- especially with all the new complications and workout faces.

I set up a modular face with activity, current heart rate (via 3rd party app), music, timer, and the workout icon. Tapped the workout icon, and got exercising. But whenever I tilt my wrist, it shows the workout app, not the watch face.

What am I missing? I should be able to start a workout but keep the watch face on "rise to wake".

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
What happens if you hit Digital Crown to go to watch face after you set up your exercise?

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
What happens if you hit Digital Crown to go to watch face after you set up your exercise?

it goes to watch face. but when i cover the screen or it times itself off, it goes back to workout when i raise it again.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
This with "Show Watch Face" set in Wake Screen?

that's what im saying, that option doesnt exist anymore in OS3. This is the new menu:

IMG_0445.PNG

[doublepost=1473565034][/doublepost]Im wondering if the Watch Face itself is considered an app. Under the "Always" option above, it says "when you raise your wrist, AW will always display your last app or activity." Will have to test this tomorrow.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
that's what im saying, that option doesnt exist anymore in OS3. This is the new menu:

View attachment 650115
[doublepost=1473565034][/doublepost]Im wondering if the Watch Face itself is considered an app. Under the "Always" option above, it says "when you raise your wrist, AW will always display your last app or activity." Will have to test this tomorrow.

You don't have this? Very strange. A bug maybe.. hmm...
So everytime you open an app you need to close it otherwise you will see it when you raise? That sounds awful.

(Is this for the benefit of Pokemon Go?.. no, I'm not joking)
bPSKPk9.png

[doublepost=1473566308][/doublepost]

View attachment 650115

But you still can do what you want, I guess. Just selects "Within 8 Minutes", starts workout and get back to watch face then run for more than 8 minutes before raising your wrist for the first time. Not ideal I know but...

Last edited:

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010

View attachment 650115

If you click on while in session again does it remove the tick from all options or do you have to have an option ticked?

rishiomedia

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
You should send Apple a bug report. But people may disagree because it could hold back Watch OS 3 for another week. :D

mixmixmix

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2019
You should send Apple a bug report. But people may disagree because it could hold back Watch OS 3 for another week. :D

I still have this issue in watch os5. I don't think it's a bug. I really don't like that I cannot access my podcasts easily during a run. Why would I care about my bloody heartbeat?
Anyone found any solutions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.