Watch out: Bought a new mac pro - Apple delivered me a refurbished model!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jron, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jron macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just thought I would share my experience. Ordered a new mac pro from the Australian online store in early February. By the end of February delivery estimate was for end of March, so I was pleasantly surprised when the order turned to 'shipping' in early march, and I received the machine on 6 March.

Excitedly I plugged it in and turned it on, and curiously there was no usual welcome / setup screen - it just booted straight to the desktop. After a little investigation I found that:

1. Someone else's user directories were still on the machine (though data had been deleted, presumably by that user);
    2. The previous users admin password was still active on the machine...i.e. I could not install anything....
    3. On the cardboard box that the unit was delivered in, I found that previous owners address / shipping information, though covered with a white sticker to conceal it. This confirmed that someone else had received the unit before me.

This is pretty outrageous in my book, an incredible breach of data security from Apple - I shudder to think what sort of data I would be able to retrieve about the previous owner relatively easily from this machine. Obviously I have no intention of doing this.

On top of this, apple have sold me a machine that was supposed to be new, and I paid full price, when in fact they shipped a second hand machine, not even properly refurbished!

So far apple's only response to this has been to try to get the machine back off me, presumably so they can destroy the evidence!

Crazy. Anyone else had this experience?

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

damn that sucks. send it back and give the apple rep some stern talking too

3. ninjadex macrumors 6502

Interesting. Out of curiosity, where did it ship from?

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

To say that you were sent a refurbished machine is entirely not accurate. Yes it sounds like there was a breakdown somewhere but you were not sent a refurb.

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

The machine was used, not a refurb. I hear that Tim Cook reads his eMails. Send him one and escalate this in Australia. I lawsuit could also be in order.

Lou

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Did you expect them to just let you keep it? Clearly somebody made a mistake. Don't complain here or write letters to Tim Cook. Give the machine back, get your new Mac Pro, and get on with your life.

7. Xerotech macrumors 6502

lol, even refurbs are better. Blatantly giving you a used model, awful.

8. grue macrumors 65816

Huge company makes mistake, full story at 11.

9. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

+1 – A simple (but avoidable) stock control / warehousing error
    -1 – For what? 'Mental anguish'? Sheeesh.

10. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

What if this is Apple's intention? Because they can't build the machine fast enough. This is the way out for apple to keep up with the demand?

11. jron, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014

jron thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, not my mental anguish, more poor old John M.

Clearly it makes no big difference to me except for the inconvenience of having to return the machine and get a new one. That said Apple are yet to admit any wrong doing, which seems strange for a grown up company.

----------

Semantics. You get the idea. Ordered new. Got not new.

----------

People who want to get on with their lives don't post on web forums :D

12. mojolicious, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yeah, he's entitled to suffer 'mental anguish', given that his data is almost certainly recoverable from the Mac.
    The people you've spoken to so far are probably not allowed to admit anything until Apple Australia top brass have had a three hour meeting to decide whether to offer you the $20 or $30 iTunes voucher for your inconvenience.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A nice blog detailing Apple's lax security procedures in Australia would likely get several people fired.

At least if you had his phone number you might have been able to call him up and get him to pester Apple about sending his personal data out to people in the mail.

And a $20-30 iTunes gift card :confused: doesn't personal information and credit card numbers go for a bit more that that especially if you got his passwords on the keychain.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Selling a used machine as new is illegal in most countries.

15. jron thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah got that... conveniently on the mail-out sticker. Though I thought I would see what Apple came back with before I brought him into it. The fact that they didn't even re-box it is pretty blatant that they just took the machine back from him, didn't check it, and sent it on.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That bites man - will they expedite a replacement for you?

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Lol. -100 for missing the point here.

Mate, sending someone a refurb instead of a new one, sure fair enough, a simple mistake.

Sending someone a unit that was just sent back, without removing the previous users personal details, restoring the OS, along with Address, is not a SIMPLE mistake!

Would you be happy that Apple would send the machine you just sent back to them to another user, what if you did not delete everything knowing/assuming Apple would whipe the machine anyway.

As the OP stated.

1. Someone else's user directories were still on the machine (though data had been deleted, presumably by that user);
    2. The previous users admin password was still active on the machine...i.e. I could not install anything....
    3. On the cardboard box that the unit was delivered in, I found that previous owners address / shipping information, though covered with a white sticker to conceal it. This confirmed that someone else had received the unit before me.

18. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I am thinking this is a big warehouse error and the people you are talking to do not handle this kind of thing every day, so do not have a proper response for you. Hopefully you can eventually get this fixed up and get that new machine you ordered.

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The previous user is lucky that your honest have no intention to exploit their machine and their personal details. Thumbs up !

Normally you would need to break into a house and steal a machine to be in this situation ;) Here Apple delivered it to you.

They will send you a new machine ASAP. This is embarrassing for them. If they stuff you around, tell them you will contact the previous owner ;) you have their details, that will speed it up lol.

----------

I'm sure it was a mistake. I am sure this is a very rare. The bigger issue is privacy here.

----------

Apple admit "wrong"...... you jest right? he he

20. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

Stuff happens -

You are blessed to be able to afford a new Mac Pro.
    If you lost your job and are homeless - that's a problem.

21. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Now that was pointless; if he were blind he wouldn't be able to read it either :eek:!

22. admwright macrumors regular

So, possibly what has happened is that this other person has sent their Mac in for repair and by mistake it has been sent out to you. You might want to let the other person know what is going on and send it back ASAP. They are likely to be pretty keen to get their Mac back.

23. jron thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm finding that fairly unlikely seeing as the machine is in perfect working condition.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You say blessed, I say stooged!

Our Blessed OP offorded himself a New Mac Pro, but alas he was bestowed with a Used model. Maybe his faith was not strong enough.

25. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Lawsuit? WTF? Simply exchange it and perhaps before sending it back lean on Apple to give a free upgrade to your order as 'compensation'.