Watch out for scams!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by philipt42, Oct 7, 2011.

1. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

http://providence.craigslist.org/sys/2619701566.html

This listing will probably disappear in a few days, but this is the message I got from the person who put the ad up when I replied:

I emailed back saying, yes, I was interested. (I was, of course, skeptical, but I also thought I should at least go through the motions, as the unit mentioned would be a spectacular deal). This is what he replied:

I included full text and email as a reference for those who google before they buy (and everyone should!)
    So, yeah. Be careful on Craigslist!

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

it's a scam, but if we posted every scam, then the forums would be packed. maybe we need a separate forum for scams, but i don't think we should post them here. it ends up being like the emails i get every few weeks from relatives warning me about this or that computer virus. i just write back and say "i use a mac." here, i will just say "i use my brain" :)

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Reply and ask him to just put up an auction with a BIN, see what happens.

4. philipt42 thread starter macrumors 6502

philipt42

That's one way of looking at it...on the other hand, I saw a few threads on other forums documenting similar scams, so I thought that having it here, google/mroogleable would be a good thing. Not everyone is as intuitive around scams, and a few of the posts I saw after a quick google to confirm that the above was a scam were people complaining about being ripped off! So, yes, people do fall for these things.:)

----------

And yes, in retrospect, it does look like those emails my grandma is constantly sending me...nonetheless...:D

5. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Craigslist is cash only. Also, you go through CL because you want to see it in person. Even if the seller put it up with BIN, I wouldn't touch it. You know the saying "if it's sounds too good to be true.....".

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

yep. i appreciate the heads up, and i hear that people fall for the scams, but i don't think this forum is the place to have the discussion.

this is, after all, just a variation on an old theme. someone asks for money in exchange for an item shipped from a distant location for a cost that seems too good to be true.

8. philipt42 thread starter macrumors 6502

philipt42

Honestly, I just wanted to get the text of the scam out there, so when someone googles it, they see this thread. Just my first instinct.

Now I need to find a legit MBP! :D

9. rkahl macrumors 65816

You guys must be crazy. Everyone knows there is no scamming on Craigslist! :rolleyes:

10. the707 macrumors newbie

thanks for posting I just got the same guy exact same message. Coincidentally I will be in Florida next week! I'm sure he will be eager to meet me so I can pay in person. ;)

11. philipt42 thread starter macrumors 6502

philipt42

Haha nice! Be sure to report what he says.:)

12. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Ha, my local CLs has him selling an iMac out of Florida with a South Carolina receipt.

Thanks for the heads up.

13. lkwan macrumors member

wow he is working houston,tx!!!

darn too good to be true!

Attached Files: