Watch photos and Focal Length Distortion

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bumpylumpy, Apr 11, 2015.

1. bumpylumpy, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

bumpylumpy macrumors member

I think the reason everyone keeps thinking the watches look smaller in person is because everyone is taking photos using their iPhones, which have very short focal lengths for objects taken up close.

This picture should illustrate the effect. Imagine the watch is this model's nose, and notice that the closer you are, the bigger it seems in relation to her face.

[​IMG]

We need some photos taken using longer zooms at a further distance to get a more natural effect, but I suspect few of us will be walking into our watch try-on appointments with DSLR cameras! :)

2. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I was thinking the same thing. Actually thought about taking my NEX-6 today but then realised that would be ridiculous.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Except many thought both the 38mm and 42mm look smaller in person. How would you reconcile that with your OP?

4. bumpylumpy thread starter macrumors member

Because your eye is generally a longer focal length at arms length than your iPhone camera.

Or, put differently - your arm looks *smaller* in the photo than in person. So in person the watch seems smaller.

5. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

That's the point. Both watches look bigger in photos on people's wrists, and both look smaller in person (from what I've heard).

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You should clarify that in your OP because you wrote "look bigger in person."

7. bumpylumpy thread starter macrumors member

Oh man, good catch - totally messed that up! I've fixed the original post. Thanks!