Watch & Restoring iPhone

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hey guys. Long story short I need to restore my iPhone and set it up as a new device - not restore it from a backup. How does this affect the watch? Will I need to wipe it and restore it as well? And if so - I'm assuming I can restore that from a backup?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ummmm, watch backup is part of iPhone backup. I think if you set up your iPhone as new, you might lose all your watch data as well. :eek:

Reactions: viachicago22

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Ummmm, watch backup is part of iPhone backup. I think if you set up your iPhone as new, you might lose all your watch data as well. :eek:
Just went through with this and to follow up - yes, this is correct. I had to reset my watch and configure as new. There was no option to restore from an iCloud backup or anything of the sort for the watch itself.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
Just went through with this and to follow up - yes, this is correct. I had to reset my watch and configure as new. There was no option to restore from an iCloud backup or anything of the sort for the watch itself.
Hummm that's good to know. Will be interesting when new iPhones come out.

Although Apple might create some sort of Watch backup with next iOS version/new iPhone.

Reactions: viachicago22

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Hummm that's good to know. Will be interesting when new iPhones come out.

Although Apple might create some sort of Watch backup with next iOS version/new iPhone.
Good point! I just went through this and it's annoying- wanted to restore only the watch, not the phone. Should be an option.