Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Only you can determine that. If you only use the watch for telling the time, for example, then no, both watches are perfectly capable of telling the time.

If you are going to be using the EKG feature, then yes, since it doesn't exist on the SE.

It depends how you use the watch and how much you pay attention to details.

Reactions: Night Spring

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
“I have a watch SE first generation would I notice a big jump to the series 9?”​

Yes, you will!

First and foremost, you're getting ECG, blood oxygen, crash detection, and temperature sensing. Major gains.

Second, you're getting a noticeably larger display area. That's a great advantage.

Third, you get fast charging with the 9. I have it on my 7 and, for example, the other day it had inadvertently gotten down to 2%. I put it on the charger, took a shower, got dressed, picked up the bedroom a bit, and when I returned to the watch, the battery level was already 93%.

Fourth, depending on how much your SE battery has been used, you’ll be getting a brand new battery, so the Watch will last longer.

Fifth, if you keep your old watch, you can swap between them, and always have a watch ready for sleep tracking.

Finally, keep in mind that the Watch 9 requires an iPhone that can run iOS 17!

”Apple Watch Ultra 2, Apple Watch Series 9, and Apple Watch SE require iPhone Xs or later with iOS 17 or later.”​

That disclaimer is buried in the fine print way at the bottom of the page, after footnote # 28!

Reactions: Night Spring

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I went with the series 9 as I wanted the keyboard to text. I assume you can still scribble like the SE? And the always on display might work well. Maybe slightly later suits web browsing. That’s all I use it for really.

awshucks

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
I have an Apple Watch, SE 2020 and I’m confused whether to upgrade to series 9 as well. My main reason is audio call quality. Basically my SE phone call quality is very poor, if it rings at all. will the series 9 be better? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.