Watch sending emails from @icloud.com rather than @me.com

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brookzy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Has anyone else noticed that the watch doesn't copy the default from address settings from your iPhone?

E.g. if you have an iCloud email account that was set up back in the days of MobileMe (or even earlier) then you can continue to use your @mac.com and @me.com address.

There seems to be no option to change this.

While it is a minor problem, it means that if I email someone from the watch, it interrupts an email thread/grouping on the recipient's end, and if they subsequently respond to it, your conversation has effectively been split into two.

2. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I just tested and indeed my email was send from my icloud account. This could be confusing. It could also cause me trouble if I send a work email; I'm supposed to use my work email. I couldn't find any option to change the default account or set the outgoing account on a new email.

3. chabig macrumors 601

My watch is set to mirror my phone, and iCloud is my default email account. Both Mac.com and me.com are iCloud addresses. My guess is that the return address is the one you used to log into iCloud. Which one are you logged into?

4. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

Neither. My Apple ID is a non-Apple address, with a @me.com and @icloud.com Mail address (like most people - it was only possible to set up an Apple ID without a third party address very recently).

I can't believe this isn't more widely reported. It basically means you can't reply to email on the watch.

(Shows you how few people use the watch for anything other than notifications and fitness...)

5. chabig macrumors 601

Try this...it's definitely buried. On your iPhone, so to Settings > Accounts & Passwords. Then scroll down to the Advanced section and select Mail. Under iCloud account information, select Email. This is where you choose your default email address. Make sure your desired return email address is the one you want.

6. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

Thanks for that - the @me.com is selected as the default though!

Apple needs to add a similar settings pane in the watch app.

7. chabig macrumors 601

Since the phone has the correct default, maybe you can force the watch to take it by cycling the switch in the watch app that mirrors the iPhone. Set it to custom and then return it to mirror. If that doesn't work, try putting it in custom, restarting the watch, and then setting it to mirror the phone.

8. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I fixed this issue by changing iPhone Settings->Mail->Default Account to my actual Hotmail account. It had been set to iCloud. I'd still like to have a way to select which account to use for new email on the Apple Watch, but honestly I won't be creating many new emails on my AW.

9. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

So put it simply.....which email address should me used? me.com or iCloud.com?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2018 ---
    So put it simply.....which email address should me used? me.com or iCloud.com?

10. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

My watch generally only shows email from one gmail account; replies go from that account.

I’ve just tried adding my me.com/icloud.com account and it looks like that’s sending from me.com so all fine here.

11. Ossyref macrumors member

Ossyref

12. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

This thread was started a while ago, I have just tried it again and the issue is fixed now.

13. Mind The Mac, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018

Mind The Mac macrumors newbie

I have only just read these posts and noticed my AW S2 is using an iCloud domain, not my default reply to email. Like other posters, I have tried all the suggestions etc. When changing from Mirror iPhone to custom, on the iPhone watch app, it will not let me change the default email from iCloud, yet everywhere else on the iPhone settings the default is correct.

Did you make any changes to get this to work properly, or did it just resolve itself?