Watch Series 1 vs. 2 - major difference in tracking precision?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacFinnley, Apr 17, 2017.

1. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

hi,

me and my wife are wearing the original Apple Watch and my friend has a Series 2 model. So what I've noticed is that there seems to be major differences when it comes to tracking precision.

For example:

Our stats:

24.000 steps/16km/720kcal

Friend's stats:

11000 steps/9km/750kcal

--> Same kcal but totally different km and steps.

Today the same:

We walked all the way up to Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh and through town (we are on vacation) and we got the following stats

16.000 steps/11km/550 kcal

Friend (at home in Germany)

6.000 steps/5km/410kcal

How is it possible that he walks way less than us, but still burns that much calories? Is it because of the built in GPS of the Watch Series 2?

Thx

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Are you carrying your iPhones? If not, then your S0 is using an algorithm to determine steps and distance.

Either that, or he's 12 feet tall. (or perhaps you guys are 3 feet tall).

EDIT - Nevermind. I misread your post. The kcal calculation depends on a lot of things. But the main variables are height and weight, I think. HR might come into play as well. And perhaps gender.

EDIT 2 - Heck, I notice that my kcal numbers on identical walks don't equal each other. Point is, there are a lot of factors that go into the kcal number.

EDIT 3 - or maybe he's cheating by telling the watch that he weighs twice as much as he does.