Watch series 4 and tennis

cibonak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
Montreal
when you leave your cell in your tennisbag, will you get otifications on your watch if cellphone rings? Or too far?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
30 feet is the max Bluetooth will work, your watch will tell you if you’re out of range (red phone icon on top center)
Series 4 uses Bluetooth 5.0, which has a theoretical range of 800 feet.

It's probably a lot less than that depending on how Apple has implemented it, so the red phone icon method you mentioned is a good way to test.

Reactions: cibonak

cibonak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
Montreal
Thanks

When i play tennis, my bag is left on the chair close to the net (right side) and im always at the back line of the tennis court.

If it is 800 ft it must be enough

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Thanks

When i play tennis, my bag is left on the chair close to the net (right side) and im always at the back line of the tennis court.

If it is 800 ft it must be enough
In practice it's probably less than that, but the distance you described sounds fine - especially outdoors without walls between you and the phone.

Reactions: cibonak

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Series 4 uses Bluetooth 5.0, which has a theoretical range of 800 feet.
Wouldn't that depend on the iPhone model as well?

To answer the OP's question, I can testify that leaving the iPhone in your bag while you play tennis will set off you AW if a call comes in. Assuming your bag is isn't made of metal.:D

Outdoordude01

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Wouldn't that depend on the iPhone model as well?

To answer the OP's question, I can testify that leaving the iPhone in your bag while you play tennis will set off you AW if a call comes in. Assuming your bag is isn't made of metal.:D
Yes, the iPhone 8 on up all support bluetooth 5.0 with the crazy extended range the new standard supports.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
I did not know about the 800 foot (theoretical) range. Will have to try that out. Definitely makes the Watch more usable.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I did not know about the 800 foot (theoretical) range. Will have to try that out. Definitely makes the Watch more usable.
I haven't tested it to be honest. I do know that it's limited by walls and other obstructions. You might have better range outdoors than indoors.

For me, it doesn't reach 800 feet if the phone is in my house, and I go outside, so there are limits.

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
I haven't tested it to be honest. I do know that it's limited by walls and other obstructions. You might have better range outdoors than indoors.

For me, it doesn't reach 800 feet if the phone is in my house, and I go outside, so there are limits.
I'd be happy with 200 feet outdoors and 50-60 in the house, to be honest. Airpods must use same tech, as I can leave my phone in my home office upstairs and keep a connection downstairs, even at the other end of my house.

Reactions: tromboneaholic