watch setup fails at imessage

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jalfreziboy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Jalfreziboy macrumors newbie

Hi I am trying to setup my apple watch to my iPhone 6 Plus, I pair the watch and phone ok but when it tries to setup imessage it asks me for the password for an old apple id that I used to use for imessage. when I check my iPhone that has the new apple id in use for imessage so where is watch setup getting this old apple id from?

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

From the Watch app on your iPhone. That's were you set the Apple ID for the watch to use.

Note: if your watch was already paired and assigned to the "older" Apple ID then you will need to use the old password to complete the initial paring and then you can change the Apple ID in the Watch ID.

Dave

3. Jalfreziboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave for your reply. I have totally unpaired the watch from the previous phone which had a completely different Apple id to my Old and current ID. Nowhere in my iPhone is the old ID I used before. I did change the Old ID email address as it had been compromised and since then I have used the new ID for iMessage so I am not sure where in the iPhone it is getting the old ID from. I have checked both my current Apple ID account and my iCloud Apple ID but there is no reference to the old ID. The Watch app on my phone contains nothing as although it pairs OK it fails the subsequent setup so never completes and I have to unpair and reset the watch to factory defaults before I can attempt setup again.
    The old Apple Id it is trying to use does not exist on the Apple id website so I am at a loss as to what to do next.