Watch Stolen - Hasn't been set up yet

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by joejoejoe, Aug 10, 2015.

1. joejoejoe, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

My coworkers Apple Watch was stolen the day he got it, before it was even set up.

It was gifted to him by Apple and he's a bit embarrassed to tell them that it was stolen so quickly.

Is there any way of tracking/finding it even though it hasn't even been unboxed yet?

Thank you

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not really for you but your friend could inform Apple

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep, do not know why Apple sent him the watch but I would let them know it was stolen for sure!

You never know.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a bummer :(

I echo my esteemed members and agree, reaching out to apple is probably the best approach.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Was this one of the gold watches Apple was giving to celebrities?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

7. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Bought it?
    Gifted to him?
    I'm confused.

8. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

As others have said, have him contact Apple directly. Can't hurt to at least get some advice even if they can't track or block it. I believe only iPhone's can be blocked.

But wait... you then said it was a gift-
    What exactly are you guys trying to do? He must have inside personal contacts to whoever "gifted" him the watch. I assume he'd have to be pretty well known to have Apple feel the need to give him free things.

Hope you're not trying to figure out if stolen/re-sold watches can be tracked for your own (or his own) personal gain.

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

So what now?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'd have as much luck as trying to track/recover an iPhone (or any other iDevice for that matter) still in the retail box.

11. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It's gone. If he has a record of the serial # maybe he can check if someone else registered it. But I am not sure what info Apple will or won't give up and what authorities would have to get involved.

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Not sure how long it has been stolen now, but it would be foolish to not report it the moment it becomes missing. The longer he waits the more it looks suspicious.

13. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

14. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

i edited my first post to clarify, didn't mean to write that he bought it. yes it was a gift. being that it was a gift he was embarrassed to go back to apple and say he left it in plain sight in his car and it was stolen. didn't want to hurt the relationship with the dude me made there.

oh well, wanted to see if there was a way of tracking it with the serial number but it is what it is.

PSA: don't leave apple products (boxed or unboxed) in plain sight in your car.

and for the dude up there insinuating this is all a ruse for personal gain or whatever, i'm surprised there was only one mean post in this thread so far!! maybe this community is actually getting nicer! I attribute that to the forum redesign. good work mods.