Watch telling you to stand while your standing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bigboiiiii, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Bigboiiiii macrumors member

Anyone else getting this? Is this normal for the watch? At my job I'm on my feet for hours walking around, but the watch still reminds me to stand even though Ive been up for awhile.

2. pittine macrumors newbie

3. onlineaddy macrumors member

Umm, how would the watch know if you're standing or not?

4. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I haven't had that happen but I have had it remind me to stand, when I've sat down after standing and walking around for a while. I am in a mostly sit-down job, though, so appreciate the stand/move reminders, regardless of whether they're too often or not.

5. kjotwani macrumors regular

Happens with me 2. Specially i have a standing desk and then every hour the "smart" watch tells me pls stand.. i mean i am already standing.. come on already..

6. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I think it has more to do with standing AND moving. Simply standing up and standing still is not really improving your health at all, but standing up and walking around or stretching is beneficial. Whenever it tells me to stand I stand up and stretch and usually go get a glass of water or walk around a bit and then I get a little ping telling me I added another number to my stand goal for the day.

7. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

Turning this feature off will be the very first thing I do when I get the watch.

8. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Then shouldn't it say, "Move around" instead of stand? Heard the folks at iMore complaining about this. The feature seems very flawed right now - but it's all software.

9. WJKramer macrumors 6502

I have been told it is on a timer so it doesn't mater what you are doing when it tells you to stand.

10. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

It does say to move around.

[​IMG]

11. roblognick macrumors member

It's always at ten to the hour if you've not reached the "target".

12. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

13. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Ah, I see, so it gives you time to hit it for the hour. I'm not sure it's using the smartest metric, but I plan on that reminding me to move around at work. Being a programmer isn't very healthy, I hear :/

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's not just about standing - it's about standing and moving. And yes, as pointed out, the notification does say to move around for a minute.

15. Alith macrumors 6502

Stand is buggy. I can be up and about for 45 minutes, like tonight and then five minutes after sitting down (at ten to the hour) it's telling me to stand and then penalising me for the whole hour if I don't. I lost 3 hours today where at no point was I immobile for a whole hour.

16. blargyblarg macrumors newbie

From my little bit of time with the watch, it seems like it only considers you to be "standing" if your arm is hanging down at your side. I can stand for 5-10 minutes and not get credit, but after I stand still for a minute, or with my arm at my side, it ticks up.

17. Bigboiiiii thread starter macrumors member

This happens to me too... I will be up and moving around, then sit down to relax and 5 minutes later it's telling me to stand up again! If I don't then I lose the credit for standing, even though I've been up for the majority of the hour. It's getting annoying.

18. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

That's clearly false. I only get the message once or twice a day, but I still get credit for having stood. I have half of the "stand" ring filled for today and haven't gotten the message once.

As for how it tells if you're standing, I'm not entirely sure, and clearly there is some room for improvement. Clearly they're using the accelerometer and gyroscope somehow, and possibly even the barometer in the iPhone 6/6 Plus? Not sure.

19. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I think happens b/c you have been standing but not moving. That's when I notice that I get the message.

20. Kent01 macrumors 6502

You know what's funny? There were 15 people that were wearing an Apple Watch during my meeting today and at 10 to the hour everyone got the same notification to stand up.

Apple controls us now - everyone stood up and starting moving.

21. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Where do you work that 15 people have Apple Watches?

22. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Ok, that was an exaggeration. There are 7 of us. They are all Sport models though. I have yet to see a stainless steel in the wild.

23. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

Same problem here.

I was actually out taking a walk to get lunch when my watch pinged me and told me to stand up and move around (and It was a brisk walk too!).

24. whatos macrumors 6502a

Both mine and my brothers do that frequently. But in fairness to Apple it's bound to have bugs being so new. I showed mine to a genius today when I returned it.

The watch is pretty good for a first gen product, I had no complaints. It just didn't have any compelling features that made it worthwhile to me.

I do believe that if this product is widely accepted and the smartphone business is more than a fad, Apples second or third gen watches will have matured like the iPhone did. At that point I may take another look at them.

25. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

Were you carrying something? Or did you have your arm up and not hanging at your side?