Watch text messaging working despite leaving phone at home!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GreyMattR, Oct 27, 2015.

1. GreyMattR macrumors newbie

When I got to work today I realised I'd left my iPhone at home.

So I was very surprised to receive an SMS text message (not an iMessage) on my Apple watch.
    And, I then replied.

In the left-most of the "glances" (that contains the flight-mode, do-not-disturb and silent mode toggle switches) it has the green "Connected" text, and to the right an iCloud icon.

How cool!

Nb. I have "known" wifi networks at work and home.

2. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Sweet! Great to know. I knew it hooked up to wifi but that it could still receive an sms when away from the phone is pretty impressive.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Want to know what else is super-cool? If you are on T-Mobile (or another carrier that fully supports WiFi calling), you could make and receive phone calls on your watch also.

5. davygee macrumors member

6. rigormortis, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

several things to mention are

1) tmobile suports wifi calling , sprint also. so if you leave your phone at home or powered off, the watch still works
    2) the iPhone gives the apple watch all the wifi passwords it has via bluetooth, and tells the watch your on your own buddy. this means the watch can now connect to wifi networks that the iPhone / i cloud knows about
    3) the cloud icon means the watch is connected to iCloud via a known wifi network
    4) some stuff won't work, like voice dictation when it is in cloud mode
    5) you cant tell the watch to connect to a wifi network manually. if it knows of one the you connected to previously, using the iphone, it can now connect to it

i think each time the watch connects to the iPhone, or each time the watch is turned on, the phone gives it all its wifi passwords

7. rigormortis, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you take an iPhone and connect it to wifi, the password is given to the watch
    if you forget the wifi network in the iPhone, the password lives on in the watch
    if you reboot the watch, the password is lost
    if you turn off bluetooth on the iPhone and connect it to wifi, the watch connect to wifi until you turn bluetooth back on the iPhone.

8. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I have ATT WiFi calling turned on, but I can't make calls on my watch when my phone is turned off.

9. GreyMattR thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't reproduce the WiFi calling using my watch when my phone's at home (or switched off :-( )

10. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii