Watch the conference without spoilers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pgiguere1, Sep 25, 2011.

1. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Just felt like sharing a tip with you guys.

If you want to watch the upcoming iPhone conference without being spoiled by internet announcements, and just watch it and be surprised the same way as the audience, I suggest you subscribe to the official Apple Keynotes podcast in iTunes.

[​IMG]

They upload the whole conference a couple of hours after it's over, so if you have the patience, it's usually a cooler way to experience the announcement if you know nothing about what they will announce.

Apple also puts a streaming version on their website, but the quality is usually worse (depending on the number of people watching it, it adjusts and is usually bad quality right after the announcement). And since you have to go to Apple's website to stream it, you'd have to see the new iPhone on their splash page so it won't be a surprise anymore.

So if you're interested, just subscribe, leave the internet for a few hours (during the conference and right after), and just look at your iTunes podcasts throughout the day until it becomes available. You'll see, it's a much more thrilling experience to feel the same suspense as the audience. ;)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Good tips,

also MacRumors tends to have a special ULR during these events for a Spoiler Free front page, so keep and eye out for that.

3. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yes, could could also bookmark that URL and keep refreshing it without visiting any other website.

But MacRumors usually put a direct link to Apple.com's stream (openable in Quicktime), which tends to have a lower quality than the podcast, and will sometimes start buffering during the best moments, which is pretty frustrating when there's so much suspense going on.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

God this is such a good idea...

I just don't know if I can wait though.....

Plus, If I wait, my friends will text me and spoil it anyways haha. I always watch the Keynote anyways, even if I know what happened and saw pictures.

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

LoL same here mike :p

It's like having a christmas present that you know is amazing sitting under the tree for 6 months beforehand... THEN once your parents finally let you open it and see what your present is you have to THEN have the self discipline to not open it for a few more hours. Good lord that is just cruel and unusual punishment to oneself ;)

6. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yeah, the problem is that Apple announcements spread faster than anything.

Even if you forced yourself to not go online/watch TV during that day, you could still go outside and hear people talk about it, or hear it on the radio in a car/public place.

I wonder what you could do to make sure you don't get spoiled that day, other than sitting in a room doing nothing. You'd have to be totally disconnected from society to not be aware of an Apple announcement nowadays.

I guess I'll just do homeworks and maybe play videogames and hope nobody decide to talk about it.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Fortunately for us here in the UK we are 8 hours ahead of West Coast USA. This means that whilst the key note is taking place people will be on their way home from work including myself. There's not much chance of accidentally hearing the news. That said I probably won't wait for the keynote to be posted but will go straight on the Internet to sites like Mac Rumours and Mac World.

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I know man.

Heck, I get irritated when I have the Pens game spoiled for me and there are 82 games a year there.

The Apple iPhone event only happens once a year, I would probably get arrested for assault for beating the hell out of whoever told me :p

Just kidding, but really, I would be mad.

9. OMGwtfBBQwings macrumors regular

Thanks for this, this time ill wait and watch this rather than refresh the hell out of firefox.

btw, is it just me or does the podcast load reallly really slow?

10. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It goes at my maximum speed for me (8 Mbps / 1MBps), like everything from iTunes. Each is around 1GB, so that's about like downloading a movie on iTunes.

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I generally watch one of the live feeds with comments and then re-watch the bare presentation this way. Lots of people later ask questions here that could be answered by watching the conference.

12. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

I live in Singapore, the other side of the world. We are 12 hours ahead. So it'll probably be quite late when it's happening. I might just see it in the morning. And about being spoiled, I dont really mind. Just an official image by Apple would make be quite happy :eek:

13. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

......you are joking right? If you're commuting home from work, that'll be the first place you'll hear some news!!! Especially on a train with all them packed commuters - you can 100% pretty much guarantee someone somewhere will be watching the live stream on their iPhone!!!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.320544,-0.063039

14. DeaconGTG macrumors member

I just wish that Apple would livestream the keynote like they did for a couple of the events last year.

That's the true way to see it spoiler free. :)

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I agree, however Apple's so strapped for cash it's out of the question.

ha...ha...ha...:eek:

16. aohus macrumors 68000

17. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I would do this but I will probably cave and watch a live blog.

18. aohus macrumors 68000

bumping this so people can watch the keynote, spoil-free.

Please bear in mind that on iPhone launch day, tomorrow, DO NOT EVEN GO TO ANY WEBSITE.

NOT cnn.com, nor any news, or tech related website.

If you want a spoil-free keynote, do a total blackout.

Several hours after the keynote, go to this link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/apple-keynotes/id275834665

19. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Depending on the group of friends and fields that you are in, I would also stay off of Facebook and Twitter. Myspace is ok though

20. hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

21. James Bond macrumors member

James Bond

22. hachre, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre