Watch Theft

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Stoneyman, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Stoneyman macrumors member

Without GPS to help with location tracking - has anyone heard of any security features that might deter people from ripping these watches off of people arms and trying to resale them? I guess this is a concern with any piece of expensive "jewelry" but given the attention given to the watch and its limited availability I wonder how often this might occur...

2. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I have been a hair worried about that. But not sure much where I live and the places I go. I am going to Costa Rica this summer and will not be taking the watch with me at all. I will be taking my phone but likely not even pulling it out in public. I am worried enough just bring it a long.

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Just like the current iPhones ... it's tied to your account. You can't do anything with it so it has no value.

Only the edition model has to worry because the value of the gold metal it self.

4. simsdaniel macrumors regular

It's tied to your account and has a passcode but we can't expect the scum who would steal our Watches to know this.

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I think Apple Watches would actually be less susceptible to theft than other watches. With an Apple Watch, the highest price for one (not counting the Edition) is $1100. As we know, other watches can go for much, much more than that.

Plus when you factor in the fact that the Apple Watch is a piece of tech that can lock you out if you don't have the passcode, it's essentially worthless save for parts.

If someone's going to go through the trouble and risk of robbing a watch off your arm, they're more than likely going to go for as much money as possible.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The average person doesn't even know what the Apple watch looks like. People still think my Pebble is an Apple watch.

Secondly, it should be treated like anything else a thief may be interested in. Rolex watches don't exactly come with a personal security guard that follows you around.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

There are plenty of Americans and tourists that visit Costa Rica with iPhones. You should be fine. Like many cities, there are seedy areas - stay away from them. Stay where the tourists stay and you'll feel right at home.

All this concern over a watch.:rolleyes:

8. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Steal an Apple Watch with a Link bracelet. Chuck the watch and sell the bracelet for $200. :)

9. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I know the magnetic bands are pretty secure, but I would think if someone yanks really hard on the watch it would come off.