Watch: There will be a 'Retina Display Plus' or at least one 'new' hardware feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMC08, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JMC08 macrumors regular

When the next phone is introduced, there is going to be at least one 'new' thing that Apple will present with it. Voice Assistant, Speech to Text, A5...these are all going to be great, but they've been done before. Something will be presented that keeps the iPhone unique.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they introduce a Retina Display Plus. Something like a more fingerprint resistant screen along with much better viewing while outside in sunlight. Just something a little extra that Apple can market as being exclusive to them a little while.

I also read one user post about an older phone that had a notification light with different colors for different notifications...I feel like this is pretty likely. Again, its a small feature upgrade. Something that is probably not that hard to implement but can still be used for a better customer experience.

I don't remember anyone knowing the gyroscope was coming with the iPhone 4, even after the leaks. Some new hardware feature like this WILL be coming. (And the phone certainly will NOT just be A5 and 8MP)

2. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yes that's for sure.

I really hope it's LED notifications. But the way the iPhone 5 is shaping up, i think the better questionis.. who wouldn't upgrade?

The only thing that would be missing, would be LTE. Which i'm suspecting will be the killer feature for iPhone 6.

3. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. There's definitely going to be something killer with the iPhone 5. I can't imagine them delaying it if there wasn't.

I read a comment on an article, which unfortunately I can't recall where, but the commenter claimed that all of the upgrades to the iPhones (or rather the numer of upgraded features) have been increasing.

I don't want to take credit for this, but this is how he/she put it:

original iPhone -> iPhone 3G = a few minor upgrades, but revamped case shell
    iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS = HUGE/revamped internal upgrade, but same case shell
    iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 = HUGE/revamped internal upgrade, and also revamped case shell
    iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 = ??

If that pattern holds, then we should see a huge internal upgrade, a revamped case shell, and something else...

But what that something else is... that's the mystery that will remain for at least 2 weeks . :)

I would really, really, like to see a gesture based home button, and maybe a new hardware button, that when pressed turns on voice command. (Or actually, that can be possible via a gesture on the home button too....)

God, so excited!

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple should not make us wait longer than a year between releases. It's not good for our health.

5. aztooh macrumors 6502a

There is literally not one single bit of legit info out there about the 5. Every rumor that comes out contradicts the previous rumor, it's getting beyond ridiculous.

6. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

I think if apple makes us wait any longer there could be mental health lawsuits

7. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Agreed!

8. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The cases from the Chinese manufacturers is a legit info piece. That is going to be the form factor for the new phone. There wouldn't be so many different cases with the same form factor out there if it wasn't correct. That's really all there is to it.

9. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

Those cases could be for an iPhone clone that's already in existence.

10. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/08/iphone-5-clone/

Not really. The iPhone clone that's in existence looks a lot like the iPhone 4 than what the iPhone 5 cases depict. The only difference is that the back has tapered edges. The iPhone clone doesn't fit the dimensions of the iPhone 5 case designs...

11. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

Theres MANY different type of clones. Not just one model...

12. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

As it stands there is not a single Apple device, nor a clone, that fits the cases which have been put into mass production just recently. Unless all the manufacturers are dead wrong, logic points to the cases being intended for use on an upcoming product, namely the iPhone 5. My guess is that someone in a factory leaked design specifications and word got around to case manufacturers. Simple as that.

13. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

And you know this because you own or have seen all models of the iPhone 4/5 clone?

14. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Have you? It should be pretty obvious that if these cases were being made for some crappy knockoff clone, countless reporting sites wouldn't be discussing them.

15. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

....Why would you be asking me if I have had seen them? I'm not the one insisting that they are for the up coming iPhone 5. And you know how easy it is to start a rumor...?

16. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Not to mention, that leaves it open to any matter of NON-APPLE devices. And I wouldn't call it a fact that the case has been mass-produced.

I'd bet against a tear-drop design. Not to mention it's far too thin on the thin end. Unless the internals have been designed with a sharp taper, nothing will fit inside the phone at that end. I'd also bet against the iPhone getting iPod Touch-like volume buttons; as depicted by that case.

17. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

The point here is that we'd have already seen the knockoff clone because these sites would want to debunk the rumor that came with the cases being released.

The guy who said there was a leak from the factory is correct. There is someone who got paid a ton of money under the table to give the info away.

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I'd hardly call the sources of the case information "reporting sites"...whatever that even means. Most are just tech blogs...and there are about a million out there.

19. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Seriously? I'm asking you that because your first post made a very clear implication that these cases are designed for mysterious iPhone clones floating around somewhere that no one has ever seen, instead of the logical conclusion that they are for what manufacturers believe the iPhone 5 will look like.

What rumor are you talking about? We've seen more than enough pictures of these cases, they're obviously in existence. Whether or not they hold any ground as to the final design of the iPhone 5, no one knows. My point isn't that they are concrete evidence of the phone's design. My point is that these cases are representative of what Chinese manufacturers believe is the form factor of the iPhone 5, to the point that they're investing money in producing millions of these cases prior to it's launch. As I said before, either they are just guessing and therefore, potentially dead wrong, or they have received some kind of insider information.

Call them what you will. They report information, they are websites. That's just semantics. Tech blogs works too.

20. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Why would a tech blog want to debunk stuff? They want to push as many rumors as possible to get page hits...fact.

I'm guessing you got to see this under the table hand off of money? I'm no expert on law, but I know that wouldn't fly. If something has been mass produced, it's because someone took a rumor and ran with it...hoping it's legit.

21. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

i loled.

22. aztooh macrumors 6502a

It's not semantics. There's a difference between a blog and a legit news source.

23. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

That's actually exactly what it is. I never said anything about these sites being legit news sources. You guys are all missing the point for some reason, and I don't understand why you're arguing things that have already happened. The cases have been produced. They are (probably) still being produced. We have reports from several websites (see what I did there?) about their production with photos included.

I'm going to say this, and then exit. No one knows anything definitively about the iPhone 5. The ONLY thing I came here to say is that it should be obvious that these cases represent what the manufacturers expect the iPhone 5 to look like, regardless of where that information came from and regardless of whether or not it's true. The reason I say that is because we've had quite a few reports from multiple sources that support this rumor. Could they both be wrong? YES.

24. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

They can debunk it as a news story since they already reported the story late last month and again today. More hits...fact.

You don't need to be an expert on law...that's why it's under the table...

So you are saying there was one golden rumor that gave them the exact form factor that they produced, right?

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I am inclined to believe this is true. Apple (although their name precedes them and gets them many sales) still needs to introduce a feature that keeps the iPhone unique from the hordes of phones sitting their in every carrier's stores.