Watch TV live on the ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Tos, Jan 24, 2011.

1. The Tos macrumors 6502a

i know of and heard of slingplayer.... is there any other way currently to watch live TV on the iPad? I have flash and such enabled on my ipad but can't seem to stream through websites and live tv. Any suggestions or ways to watch tv?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Um... how do you have Flash enabled on your iPad?

3. RedWings macrumors regular

He is probably using Skyfire

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which is what I wanted to know, because Skyfire is not enabling Flash on the iPad
    And it has severe limitations in content provision (as stated in its description)

5. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

no its not from skyfire. Everyone is so quick to judge. Any real solutions to getting live TV to work?

oh and add source http://repo.benm.at/

Flash for IOS.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Um, wasn't a judgement, it was a question
    Good luck

7. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know. Just messing around. I would really like any suggestions for getting live tv functioning on the iPad without slingplayer.

8. RedWings macrumors regular

Anything you can provide in English?

9. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is in english on both my iphone and ipad. Just did a double check.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It's German, but even with Chrome translating it, I don't see anything relevant to this discussion... maybe I missed it

11. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there anyway to copy and paste an image?

Attached Files:

12. Ratty macrumors 6502

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

EyeTV has iOS apps that will let you stream live TV from your Mac. Right now you have to have their hardware/software on your Mac, which may limit TV channels to analog cable and your local HDs OTA. They were also talking about a stand-alone device that would stream, so your Mac wouldn't need to be involved. Ah, nevermind about that unless you're in Europe.

Tizi (link in an above post) looks to be European only too.

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

15. MrWillie, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  16. aristobrat macrumors G5

Are you sure? Mine only lets me control the TiVo/get additional info about the show that's currently on. No streaming.

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Nope, I am looking for the article I read awhile back, I was lead to believe that it did, but it doesn't. :mad: I was hoping to be able to do this when I upgrade my Series 2.

18. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Filmon.com has some live tv channels. It's subscription based though. I worked well when I tried it during free trial.

19. dbwie macrumors 6502

As a previous poster mentioned, if you get the EyeTV hybrid TV tuner stick and the (included in box) EyeTV software for your Mac, it can send the live TV signal out to your iOS device. You can use the EyeTV iPhone/iPad app to watch on your iOS device.

A few notes:

1) Your Mac must be on and EyeTV open to stream to your iOS device. The remote app can launch EyeTV software on your Mac if the Mac is on but EyeTV app is not open. I just set my laptop to "never sleep" and turn the screen off (brightness all the way down) when I'm not using it.

2) The streaming quality is great if your stream over your local network. Just create a custom EyeTV connection specifying your Mac's IP address and it connects instantly. For example, my Mac is downstairs and sometimes I watch TV upstairs on my iPhone via my local WiFi network. It's a nice portable TV everywhere my WiFi signal reaches around the house (and out in the courtyard).

3) If you are away from home, I think you must have a WiFi connection for the streaming TV to work. The EyeTV uses the same approach that Apple uses for its "Back to My Mac" connection service through MobileMe. IF Back to My Mac works for you, then EyeTV streaming should work. Streaming quality will depend on the speed of the WiFi connection where you are. I don't think this works over 3G. The makers of EyeTV (elgato.com) have some support files detailing supported routers and settings issues to make this all work.

4) A nice bonus is the EyeTV software on the Mac can record television shows on the Mac, and then prepare (export) it into a format for viewing on an iPhone or iPad or AppleTV. A very functional DVR option. You can even schedule the recordings from the iOS app if you forget to do it while sitting at your Mac.

I mainly use this to watch TV anywhere at home, but when I occasionally do this at a coffee shop or laundrymat while waiting for my clothes I get many oohs and aahs... :)

Enjoy!

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

21. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

The real deal

Monsoon Vulcano.

Get the Platinum if you want to add your own hard drive for DVR and get all the apps for FREE. :cool:

For $100 bucks ballpark. It's great.

22. abcdefghijklmno macrumors member

+1, fully recommended.

A

23. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Another UK work around. In the USA, you'll never get something like this. Slingbox is about it or if you have a Mack, Eye TV. But Eye TV, you need the Mac on and dedicated software.

24. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

+1

TvCatchup. A fantastic website and it's made good progress. Before it crashed and some channels didn't work, but now it's smooth, quick and easy (and free).

25. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

It works over 3G. Not the best quality, but hey, it works.