Watch while roaming

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Endorphine88, May 4, 2018.

1. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

To anyone who's traveled abroad with the S3 LTE watch - any functionality issues? I know I'll have to be within reach of my phone to use cell and internet functions, but is there anything else you've experienced that is tricky while outside of the country? I have a few trips to Europe coming up and was wondering if I should bother taking the watch at all.

2. GRT89521 macrumors member

GRT89521

I have T-Mobile and when I was in Mexico I don't believe the watch connected to the Cellular Service. My iPhone had no connected without issue.

3. yass31 macrumors member

It cannot be used abord, i was traveling for 15 days in April and discovered that the watch does not connect to cellular network while on roaming.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207578

4. Endorphine88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post - I know the watch itself does not support roaming. I will have roaming and data through my phone. I was just asking if anyone's had specific experiences with using the watch abroad where they came across any issues while tethered to the phone

5. yass31 macrumors member

Ah in that case it shouldn't be a problem at all, it will work as if you were home and deactivated cellular data on it or if it was a non cellular watch.
    You can even switch to another sim card if plans there are less expensive for example than roaming, and when you'll put your actual sim card and come back to the US it's gonna work like you've never left.

6. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

It’ll do everything a non-LTE Watch does so definitely worth taking.

I find things like asking directions incredibly useful when travelling and would much rather glance at my watch than walk around an unfamiliar city holding my phone.

7. Endorphine88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Figured it should work as a normal watch while tethered to the phone, but I'm just anxious haha. I'm also going to multiple countries so it's actually cheaper to just use roaming on my US number while I hop around Europe. Go figure!