Watch Wifi Speed Question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chenjas1, Apr 13, 2015.

1. chenjas1 macrumors member

I thought I had read that if 5Ghz ac networks slow down when you have devices such as b/g/n on them... Since the Apple Watch is only b/g/n, and the Watch and your iPhone need to be on the same network, in addition to Bluetooth, won't that mean the iPhone's potential wifi speeds slow down?

Can someone who knows more about wireless networks chime in?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I don't know about any wireless routers but Apple's. If you have a recent Airport Extreme, it creates simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and it bridges them automatically so your 5GHz devices connect at 5GHz and your 2.4GHz devices connect at 2.4GHz yet they are all on the "same" network.

3. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

I have the latest AirPort Extreme and have different SSIDs for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks as to avoid the issue that I think happens... I wasn't sure how to select a 5Ghz network when they're both named the same SSID.

Curious to see if pairing an Apple Watch will bring the iPhone down to the 2.4Ghz network of it they're interconnected.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Even if the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks have different names, they're still bridged and become one network.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

6. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

You will have no problems with Wi-Fi.

----------

It's on Apple's website.

7. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

In the What's in the Box section of the Apple Store App.

----------

Excellent! Thanks for the knowledge.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thanks, the watch website is atrocious for finding out specs.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Ideally you want all your devices connecting at either all B, all G or all N etc

If a B device connects to an N network, then the N network slows down.

As the watch connects at N, then there is no reason really for it to connect lower and drag the network speed down.

You can normally lock a network to allow only specific clients, for example my new time capsule is locked to allow only N, A and AC.