Watch without Phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TallManNY, Jan 5, 2016.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I'm sure you all knew this worked like this but I didn't. I forgot my iPhone at home today. When I got to work my Apple Watch connected to wifi and I'm getting my iMessages and I can reply to them with Siri.

Somethings update (like stocks) but others do not (it can't find location).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 5, 2016 ---
    And Apple Pay works. Which I kind of knew but hadn't actually done without my phone.
    I wonder how many coffee shops in my neighborhood would now work for me without my phone since I've synced with their wifi in the past.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

:apple:Pay has nothing to do with WiFi. :apple:Pay on the :apple:Watch will work anywhere :apple:Pay works.

3. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

The card info is now downloaded to your watch, so anywhere that accepts Apple Pay will work. Download the free app Pay Finders to see a map of what stores in your area accept Apple Pay.

4. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I know that Apple pay creates a one time number for each transaction. So if my watch creates the one time number and transmits it to point of sale, and supposedly this one time number makes me anonymous to the point of sale, how does my credit card company know to associate that one time number to my card? I always assumed that my phone simultaneously transmitted the one time number to my credit card company through another channel so they could be matched. But at the time of sale my watch had no ability to send out a message. Does it send a message next time it gets into wifi or range of my phone?

5. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I would guess so, if that's actually how it works.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Read this for an understanding of how :apple:Pay works.

http://www.kirklennon.com/a/applepay.html

7. EdwardSmith36 macrumors regular

Wow that really sounds amazing! I mean replying with siri is quit interesting. @TallManNY: You are lucky enough as you have already synced their wifi in past. Now you may do stuff without having your handset with you.

8. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Thanks. I've now got a much better understanding how it works. I thought it was a one-time number, but actually it is the security code that is created one time for the transaction, but the device number is fixed. So watch creates a security code (meaning it has the same ability as the phone in some sort of secure part of the watch chip) and transmits that with device number. Interesting.