Watch YouTube on TV, but audio thru Earpods?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gloryunited, Apr 2, 2013.

1. gloryunited macrumors 6502

I want to watch some YouTube clips on the big TV screen at night. But since I don't want to disturb others sleeping, and I have a nice pair of Earpods, connected to an iPhone 5, installed with a YouTube app, could I somehow stream the YouTube video to the TV while playing the audio through my Earpods?

PS. My Apple TV is the 720p one and not jail-broken.

Cheers. :D

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

No, but it's a popular feature request. I hope that Apple listens.

3. institute macrumors regular

You might be able to set up your iPhone to receive audio from the ATV. This works like Roku 3's "Private Listening" function.

There is a Macoxshint http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20130312010845251&msg=15 that tells you how to do it.

Easy if your iPhone is jailbroken. I also imagine that Apple will build this in to the Remote App at some point.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sell it and buy maybe two ATV3's

5. gloryunited thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by that?

6. mynamesreallong macrumors member

mynamesreallong

He meant that the prices of ATV gen 2 are in high demand because of its JB capability. And you can prob sell it for the cost of 2 ATV3's.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Exactly, if you don't jailbreak your ATV2 upgrade to a 3. ATV2's go for about $200 on eBay and the like.

8. gloryunited thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, never knew that ATV3 is different in the JB department! I probably should JB that thing now then. I always think ATV got HUGE potential but Apple somehow hindered it from flaring.

I bought mine from overseas coz back then ATV wasn't even sold in where I live. So if I unfortunately bricked it, I couldn't have it fixed in the local Apple Store where no ATV is sold.

Thanks for the input lads!

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

They may run into patent issues with Roku if they try to implement this feature. (assuming Roku has patented it of course)

10. institute macrumors regular

I doubt it since it won't be a physical remote control with a headphone jack. You will be using an iDevice with an app to do it. You will be simply leveraging the existing Airplay and using the iDevice as an Airplay receiver, which doesn't even require an ATV to be useful. Further, the ATV, itself, has had this ability to push audio via Airplay since well before the Roku 3 was released.

11. Mjpetersen macrumors newbie

Well if you look under airplay settings, there's an option for where the audio is coming out so maybe you can set it to come throught the iPod iPhone iPad ect. Instead of the Apple TV speakers

12. institute, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

institute macrumors regular

As I have written you need an app to allow the iPhone or ipad to be an Airplay receiver. They exist but Apple has kicked them out of the AppStore and you can only use them on a jail broken device. See my early post and the link to MacOSXHints.

13. Uofmtiger, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I hope Apple adds this feature. I have Airfoil speakers app and they updated it to remove the feature. However, they included a roll back feature in settings to get it back, so I can do this without a jailbroken iPhone. The main issue is that it doesn't seem to allow you to connect to it when it is running in the background, so you have to have the app up on the screen. Apple could do it better.