Watched Returned-Having Issues

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by teeshot44, Sep 12, 2015.

1. teeshot44 macrumors member

teeshot44

Bought wife and I watches. Decided it was not for me so returned mine. Here are the problems that I had. Suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Couldn't remove Apple Watch as a device in Health App on my iPhone.
    2. I still show up on my wife's Apple Watch as being able to Digital Touch.
    3. My iphone gets a message that my phone number is being used for messages on an apple watch. (This is after I tried wiping and setting up as new iPhone to try correcting 1 and 2.)

My returned watch was unpaired and wiped before return.

I have tried in no particular order, complete restore of my iPhone, setting up my iPhone as new, deregistering imessage, deleting my contact information and setting up again. Hard resets of wife's iPhone and Apple Watch.

Number 1 was finally corrected with a complete restore however I couldn't use my last backup as that simply recreated the problem so I had to reinstall each individual app.

2 and 3 still exist as issues. Anyone experienced same and found a resolution?

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Your message is difficult to understand.
    I think you bought two watches and returned one.
    If you unpair the apple watch that you returned and factory reset it which I guess you did then you should not have any 'security' issues.
    It is only ever one paired watch to one phone.
    I'm certain you have nothing to stress about.

3. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

I bought a watch for me and paired it with my iPhone. I bought another watch for my wife and paired it with her iPhone. I unpaired, wiped and returned the watch I bought for me. Clearer?

I'm not worried about security.

I am wondering why Apple doesn't have a way to removed any device including the Apple Watch from the Health App without a complete restore as a new phone. As a matter of fact and information, if you un-pair and then re-pair the same watch with the same phone, you end up with two identically named devices in the Health App not being able to remove either. (I'm not the only one as there are numerous threads in many forums with this issue that has been reported to Apple many times)

I do want to know why, and how to stop a wiped, unpaired and returned watch from still showing up as being able to Digital Touch on another watch even after multiple reboots, restores and wipes of all related devices.

I do want to know why, and how to stop getting a notice on my iPhone that my iPhone phone number is being used for iMessage on a wiped, unpaired and returned watch even after multiple reboots, restores and wipes of all related devices.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Have you tried deleting the Watch backup from iPhone? Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage (under Storage) > Apple Watch app > Remove all backups.

5. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

There is no Apple Watch app category/backup there. I have restored as new a number of times. I have also removed or otherwise archived all backups from iCloud and iTunes. I have even tried installing 9.0 PB, 9.0 GM and 9.1 PB, all resulting in the same issue. All installs were clean and new with complete restores in between and after. Now I'm back to 8.4.1. The Watch shows up no where.

There must be something somewhere in Apple's huge database somewhere that still is linking things up.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It must be in iCloud then. I'd try phoning Apple support to have them remove it from their end, as I don't think we can access it ourselves?

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Do you share an iCloud/iTunes account? My wife and I had all kinds of weird issues like that, until I got her a a separate account, wiped her watch, and set it all up again. Even before she got her watch, it said I could digital touch (ha!) her, because we were on the same account.

8. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

Nope, separate accounts and always have.

9. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

An update for anyone interested. The issue has now gone to Apple Support 2nd level and advanced to Engineering. Thanks to those of you interested enough to try to help.

10. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Try going to iCloud.com, then settings / my devices - your old watch might show up there, if it does then click 'remove device' which should sort the problem.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not to worry as I have had three different watches and have all three showing up on my 6+. Hoping it will all go away with OS9 and watch OS2

12. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

Thanks, but not there.

13. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

Tried IOS 9.0 PB, 9.0 GM and 9.1 PB. Did not help.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Then replace it. If you can show Apple it has a problem they will repair/replace it.

15. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

Not a matter of replacement. As I stated earlier, the issue is now in Apple Engineering but not for hardware engineering.

All the levels of support at Apple that have and are involved believe it is not a hardware (iPhone or Watch) issue and neither do I. It is an issue in iMessage handling and/or registration regarding the iPhone and Apple Watch.

The problem that causes multiple watches to show up as sources in the Health App are also not hardware related and are a separate issue from this. There are numerous complaints about that issue in multiple forums and Apple admits in support and genius bars that it is a problem not hardware related. It's not just Apple Watches that can't be removed as sources.

My detailed records of what I've done and furnished to them as well as Apple's own verification of their logs that support has accessed that us mortals don't have access to, also support the non hardware direction.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe the whole experience was just not for you. I have had a great experience after returning the first two, the third watch has worked with out flaw. Now operating system arriving next week will just be icing on the cake.

Hope you get you issue resolved.

17. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors member

teeshot44

Thanks

Never said my watch didn't work. It worked great for what it was designed to do with the first version of software for a new product. I said it was just "not for me". I was at the return deadline and couldn't wait for WatchOS 2.0 to see if it did what I personally needed it to, not what it should do, as there is a difference. I doubt it however, after reviewing numerous beta sources. We'll see.

Not my first experience with new items and/or software. Have beta tested software and hardware since the days of Windows 2. Including Apple and other vendors for at least the past 10 years.

Differences between hardware issues and software issues and there ability to work together are a fact of life. Hardware-Software-Marketing never totally agree. They compromise.

Thanks for your comments and glad the the Watch does what you need, it just didn't for me.