Watches all over Disney World

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spoa94, May 29, 2015.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I received my Apple Watch on April 24 and have yet to see one in the wild, until today. These bad boys are ALL OVER Walt Disney World. I used it for Apple Pay twice when I didn't want to use the CC on my magic band. One of the cashiers even told me she appreciated that I knew how to use it cause one customer took over two minutes to figure out how to access her Apple Pay.

Day two in Disney is tomorrow. I hope to see many more watches in person.

2. Ghostbuster386 macrumors regular

Ghostbuster386

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

4. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Let me guess, all of them are sporting the Mickey Mouse watch face???

5. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

That's surprising to me. I completely understand that Disney now owns pixar and Jobs was disney's biggest shareholder and the mickey watch face and everything but i'm still surprised you're seeing them all over disney...i'm curious as to why? Anyone have any ideas. Thanks for sharing this OP it's kind of interesting.

6. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

I was at Disney Land on Tuesday and saw 2 total.

7. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

We are at disneyland almost every other weekend when my daughter doesn't have softball and i see them there all the time!

I see them all over here in southern california

8. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Okay, I'll be guilty of this. I'm going a month from today and will totally be using the Mickey Mouse face the entire time. How can you not??

This thread does make me a bit excited though, I have yet to meet another Apple Watch-er in the wild. The only other person I met that had one was one of the reps at the Apple Store, which of course doesn't really count.

9. ikl macrumors newbie

So that's why the rest of the world is still waiting for their watches... ;)

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Haha yep I'm guilty of that. Every time I go to Disneyland I swap the face to Mickey. It's just too perfect.

11. Jeffde macrumors newbie

Disney in two weeks, will have my 42 stainless link

12. skyking517 macrumors regular

We live in Orlando and are Disney annual pass holders. We were at Hollywood Studios last weekend and I did not see a one, however I feel there is a HUGE opportunity to make the Disney app amazing. How cool it would be to turn my apple watch into my annual pass? Just to add it to my Disney account somehow so I don't have to wear my magic band, updates on ride wait times, the things they can do are endless in my opinion.

13. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I noticed this as well even directly after launch. Disney world and universal are where I see the most watches to this day.

14. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

15. iChase macrumors member

I work at Disney World and use Apple Pay every day to buy my lunch. Life will get even better when I get my SS BSB in a couple weeks!

I'm a technician so I don't interact with guests too much, but walking around I still haven't seen anyone with a Watch. I'm sure they're all over, though! Surprisingly, I think I'm going to be one of the first of my colleagues to get one, too.

16. Gdgtguru, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

Gdgtguru macrumors member

Do you know if Disney has provided additional :apple:Pay training yet? When I was there a month or so ago, most staff said we don't support that yet when I tried paying with the phone. After talking to a couple of them, it seems they thought there should be a special button on the screen to accept :apple:Pay and some were simply choosing the option for Magic Band payment which of course does not work for :apple:Pay. When I told them to just select the option for a regular CC, it worked every time.

It seems additional training is required to the Cast Members know how to accept :apple:Pay. I will be back in 2 weeks, hopefully it has gotten better.

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Ooh! That gave me a thought! When Apple does support 3rd party watch faces, it would be cool if there was geo-specific support in the App store.

You get a prompt after going through the gates at Disney "Welcome to Disney! As a free gift, would you like to receive our collection of character watch faces for your Apple Watch?" :)

You could even have watch faces specific to each Disney park. Visit them all and collect them.

:D

18. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

People who have money to burn on going to Disney Land usually also have money to burn on things they don't need, like the Apple Watch.

19. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd be happy enough if I could just use my watch or phone in place of the magic band

20. iChase macrumors member

I'm not too sure as I don't have any involvement with the food or merchandise people. I know they're telling the Cast Members about it, but I don't think they get any dedicated training. I usually have to walk the cashiers through the process before I pull my phone out. I do know it is totally rolled out here in Florida, though, so if you hear different it's usually just someone being misinformed.

21. JBUGGY, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

JBUGGY macrumors member

JBUGGY

We went to Disneyland 2 weeks ago....and we spotted 5 AW's....

2 WSB, not sure sizes
    1 SS WSB, 38
    1 SS BSB, 42
    1 BSB, 42

Going again tomorrow, so we'll see how many we spot! :)

22. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I think that you are overthinking this. Basically, it's a tourist destination hotspot. These are people with disposable income on a vacation, the same kind of people that have the disposable income to spend on an Apple Watch.

23. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Exactly. Other than locals, if you are on vacation at disneyworld chances are you have some disposable income. Add thousands of people with disposable income together and chances are you will find some apple watches.

Also with lines and such it's far easier to identify

24. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I haven't seen any in the wild apart from my own so far

25. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

Makes more sense. I overthink everything. I was looking for a correlation with Apple and it was as simple as people with disposable income.