WatchEspn.com (ESPN3) Jittery During Commercials

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JPark, Sep 30, 2011.

1. JPark, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

JPark macrumors 6502a

I stream watchespn.com (used to be espn3.com, and espn360.com before that) all the time on my Macbook Pro. The quality is pretty good and I never have any problems with it during a sporting event. However, whenever it goes to commercial it gets really jittery and I only get about 1fps. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what's going on?

EDIT: More info: Windows computers don't seem to have this problem.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Browser, Browser Version, OS X Version, Flash Version, Video Card, CPU... would all be helpful information. :p

(I'm not saying I can give you a answer, but for a question like this that information is necessary.)

3. JPark thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have had the problem for as long as I've used espn3.com. During that time, I've been on 10.6 and 10.7 (usually the latest version). I've tried it in both Safari and Firefox (latest version of each).
    Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz
    8GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256GB
    Flash Version: 10.3.183.5

Any thoughts? The player is Flash based, so it seams like that's probably the source of the problem, but why would it be fine during the actual event and so poor during the commercials?

4. chrisf82 macrumors newbie

Been having the same problems for weeks. Only during commercials, no issues at all during gameplay. Today during the Michigan/Michigan State game I have had to quit the browser over 10 times.

I have an early 2011 MBP with 8 gigs of RAM, running Lion. Also, I have tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox. All seem to have the same frequency of issues.

5. Reggi macrumors newbie

Same Issue

MBP 13"
    Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)
    2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Under Snow Leopard, Commercials on ESPN3 were very gittery (almost as if ESPN had the games running in one instance, and the commercials were running a separate flash instance, taking down the processor).

But today, the Michigan St/Ohio game just locks the entire system up, forcing an entire hard shutdown...

This is also the first day I have Lion. Snow Leopard didn't cause this take-down.

That said, ESPN is also moving from ESPN3 to "Watch Espn" so there may be an issue with ESPN at this point...

Any help? Greatly appreciated...

6. Hai1242 macrumors member

Same problem here. MBA 2011. It crashes in Chrome during commercials, and just gets jittery in Safari during commercials.

I reinstalled flash, uninstalled it, tried everything but espn3 still messes up.

7. amtf2012 macrumors newbie

same problem happened to my MBP and iMAC, I do appreciate of any kind of help.

8. amtf2012 macrumors newbie

up

9. tubes77 macrumors newbie

I am also having this problem, often completely locking up system with a hard shut-down the only option to fix it.

2010 MacBook running Lion. I've even done a clean install of Lion and still have issues. Happens in both Chrome and Safari

10. chrisblackstone macrumors newbie

The problem is Flash (imagine that)

Look at your Activity Monitor when the commercials come on. You'll quickly see your browser take up as much memory as it can (upwards of 2 GB). Then, when there's no memory left, crash goes the Flash Plugin.

Yes, it's all Flash's problem.

ESPN does provide a phone number for customer service. When you have this problem, call 888-549-ESPN. I'll be doing it tomorrow when my browser continually crashes during the Michigan/Iowa game.

11. amtf2012 macrumors newbie

let us know if you get any help from the ESPN, thanks

----------

no problem with my old LEOPARD, only happened to LION

12. Oatmeal78 macrumors newbie

Change display resolution

On many systems if you change the system display resolution to 1024 x 768 or larger, it resolves the issue. This worked on both of my MacBooks running lion. This does not wrk on my 2010 macmini while hooked up to my sony hd tv via HDMI cable. It simply does not have a resolution greater than 1024 x 768 except for the 1080i resolution. However, the 1080i has the same issue.. very frustrating...

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Haven't had any problems on my 13" Air
    Watching the Dawgs play right now, no issues

14. amtf2012 macrumors newbie

is it LION? no problem to watch ESPN3?

15. amtf2012 macrumors newbie

my iMAC is 1920 X 1080 , still has the same jittery problems with ESPN3.