Watchin.wmv on mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by QWIK83, Feb 10, 2009.

1. QWIK83 macrumors newbie

QWIK83

Is there a converter or another player that will play these files? As of now all that comes up is a bunch of symbols in text editor. Unibody mb 10.5.6. Thanks in advance!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I recommend the free Flip4Mac WMV Player (download via Microsoft) combined with Perian to handle those oddball types. Perian also fixes an issue with the latest Flip4Mac WMV Player that causes some movies not to preview properly - for me, these show up in Quick Look as green screens until I install Perian.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's what I use. I like using QuickTime for everything rather than multiple apps.

5. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I use flip4mac with no problems, works like a charm.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

+1

Perian plug in + Flip4Mac pluging (both for QT) and you're set for life.

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

id simply suggest VLC Player from VideoLan.com

simply because i came from windows too trying to play WMV, AVI, MPG< etc etc and installed all these codecs and while Quicktime is nice and all its good to just have a simple, one multi purpose player.

8. bay2sacto macrumors member

Like other have said, Flip4Mac or VLC work great also you can use Miro.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I use both Flip4Mac and VLC - a long .wmv video takes a long time to import into Quicktime using Flip4Mac, I have an easier time just using VLC.

10. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

I have both Flip4Mac and Perian installed, but the .wmv still only plays audio on my QT... :(

11. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Did you try also with VLC player? http://www.videolan.org/

12. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

like others have suggested, VLC Player. dont evenbother installing a bunch of junk codecs, get Flip4Mac but just for use on websites that still use that archaic file format.

just change all your video files to open with VLC.

:cool:

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I find VLC to be less stable and intuitive than QuickTime, and if you install codecs for QuickTime you can also play the videos in iTunes and Front Row, as well as load it into iMovie and so forth.

14. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Could it be that the .wmv has DRM on it?

I've heard DRM protected files won't work right or at all. Though never tested myself.

15. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

the user could also convert the video files to MP4 using iSquint or Handbrake or other methods...and require absolutely no codec and it will play fine in QT, FrontRow, iTunes, VLC, etc.

but having alot of stray codecs attached to a specific app and on a system tends to make it overall less stable and vulnerable to issues...since VLC is a all-in-one contained application its easier to manage and keep codecs in place than if you were to get dozens of codecs for QT is all im stating.

16. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can do a lot of things, but why would you want to? Transcoding takes time and results in significant quality loss. If you're going to rip a DVD, sure, rip it to a format that QuickTime natively supports. Don't transcode videos already ripped.

I wouldn't exactly refer to two codecs as "alot". Perian has never given me any problems, although a Flip4Mac update did once fatally kill my install of OS X and force me to restore from a backup. VLC doesn't have satisfactory WMV support, so you're forced to use Flip4Mac anyway.

Again, "dozens"? We're talking about two codecs here. Two.

17. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

When I try to play a .wmv file with VLC it don't get any audio. It works with QuickTime though.